Talk

Advanced search

DS hates his job.

(18 Posts)
GerardWay Thu 20-Sep-12 21:15:28

DS (19) hates his job and he's only had it 12 weeks.

He should have been an A grade student but chose to be lazy and got no good GSCE's and then messed up at college (twice). I did have a thread on here before.

Anyway he has been working for about 12 weeks. Constant moaning and groaning about it. I have tried to be supportive about new working conditions (not that he worked before) but he just goes on and on about how unfair it is.

He has even had the cheek to moan that he works more hours than us. We pointed out that we have worked bloody hard all our adult life for what we have. House now paid for, business paid for etc. Business is now going through a difficult time and the cheeky fecker suggested that DH took his job. shock

KateByChristmas Thu 20-Sep-12 21:37:22

Hmmmm how about do nothing? He is a grown up and I'm sure most 19 YO moan about work - I know it must get frustrating but I really think this could be one for him to work out himself smile

GerardWay Thu 20-Sep-12 21:40:16

I'm not drip feeding. I have posted on the Toddler/teenager thread.

I love him and about 3 weeks ago me and DH took him and his GF out for lunch. It all started well until work called and asked him if he could come in later. Cue major strop although he agreed to go into work. The meal was ruined because of his bad mood about going into work.

Shallishanti Thu 20-Sep-12 21:41:31

I hope he's giving you something for his keep?
if so, point out that he is STILL living far far cheaper than he could elsewhere.
So it's tough and boring, that's life for most people, especially if they have chosen not to make more choices available to them selves by messing up at college.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 20-Sep-12 21:43:23

Tell him that 25% of his peers are not in employment or education and if he wants to have a go at that go ahead. Believe me it is pretty grim.

Gumby Thu 20-Sep-12 21:45:42

What is the job?

NatashaBee Thu 20-Sep-12 21:48:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GerardWay Thu 20-Sep-12 21:48:11

Thankyou Kate, I am doing nothing but me, DH and our 14 year old dread seeing him as the rant's about how he is 'hard done by' and we all do nothing (hahaha) will continue.

I just hate being shouted at for no good reason. His life, his problem as we have told him.

OwedToAutumn Thu 20-Sep-12 21:53:47

Tell him "Welcome to the world!"

(Or just shut your mouth, and think it.)

Hopefully the bordom of his job will encourage him to resume his studies, part time.

OwedToAutumn Thu 20-Sep-12 21:54:37

Boredom

GerardWay Thu 20-Sep-12 21:56:07

Yes, he is paying rent. Only £150 pound a month as I want him to have an incentive to work. He is working at a Mitchells and Butlers resturant in the kitchen. I would of hoped he would have been put out front (he's good looking). yes I know he's mine but he is

Flojo1979 Thu 20-Sep-12 22:00:18

Shouted at? By your DS? I'd tell him to go find somewhere else to live, see how he likes paying rent.
Seriously.

sashh Fri 21-Sep-12 06:30:25

Well if he strops at work there is no way they are putting him out front.

Tell him he is not 5. He has had a number of opportunities and he is a spoiled brat (whether he is or not, he's behaving like one).

Tell hi to change his ideas or get out.

visualarts Fri 21-Sep-12 06:51:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiago Fri 21-Sep-12 06:57:18

Tell him that starter jobs are never great, but people with ambition take pride in having them and doing them to the best of their ability. then tell him to grow up and stop acting like a toddler.

GerardWay Fri 21-Sep-12 11:00:15

Thankyou everyone. It helps to rant. I don't think for one minute he would strop at work so maybe that's why he takes it out on us. He's just worked 8 days in a row. He has today and tomorrow off so he might be a bit happier.

Tiago You are right and I keep reminding him that he can easily work his way to the top if he works hard and is dependable.

Fairyliz Sun 23-Sep-12 12:02:01

Someone on here once said ignore the attitude and concentrate on the behaviour. So is he actually going to work and getting there on time? Does he give you board? If so he is doing pretty well. Hard to believe with all the moaning I know, you have my sympathy.

GerardWay Sun 23-Sep-12 17:42:24

Yes, he pays rent and he is always on time for work. He even does extra hours when they need help even though he doesn't want to so that would help to explain some of the bad moods and shouting when he's home and tired.

He seems happier after the big row and having a couple of days off am probably speaking too soon. He's back on a late shift today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now