Talk

Advanced search

Advice please - 16 year old boy wanting to come home on his own late at night

(6 Posts)
CAZ46 Sat 22-Oct-11 17:44:04

Help - I have a lovely 16 year old boy who is out and about quite a lot, well most of the time. He has a lovely social life and I am used to being the taxi driver. He is starting to want to make his own way home about 10pm/11pm, for example, tonight he may be going to a party and happy to get the bus home. He is a lovely boy but a bit dippy and forgetful. Do I let him make his own way home for his independence or should I continue to be the taxi driver which I don't mind doing?

PattySimcox Sat 22-Oct-11 20:22:49

I'm assuming he has a phone so would call you if he got into a sticky situation / missed his bus etc?

I guess for me it would depend on the area that he was in / whether he would be travelling alone or with friends / how familiar he was with where he was going etc

I think that if he is usually fairly sensible, you let him try and see... mine all started being a lot more independent at 16 and as long as they didn't mess up I trusted them! We always have a text system so they text/ring when they are leaving and getting on the bus so I have an idea of arrival times!

However I still offer to be taxi quite a lotsmile

cat64 Sat 22-Oct-11 21:16:07

Message withdrawn

CAZ46 Sun 23-Oct-11 09:18:28

Thanks All. My son got the bus home last night and arrived home just after 10pm yay! We live in a nice area so don't have any worries there really - its just me really being a bit over protective. He does have a phone but not very good at letting me know what he's doing!

mumblechum1 Sun 23-Oct-11 13:37:00

Lucky you having buses!

We're 8 miles from where ds goes out at night so either I stay sober to collect him or he pays £15 for a taxi!

I think your son will be fine getting a bus home by himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now