Talk

Advanced search

research for the perfect kitchen table

(4 Posts)
studentdesignresearch Mon 17-Oct-11 18:36:13

I want to redesign the kitchen table, to help improve family interaction, whether it be shape, size, material or integrating an organizing system to declutter the table or something to promote more cooking...
I wanted to know what everyone does at the kitchen table, what meals they eat there, when they have guests over, when you are cooking/doing homework. What do you think would make the kitchen table better? Or the kitchen in general.
Any comments would be really useful to my research smile

saffron Tue 18-Oct-11 00:42:55

Old fashioned kitchen tables were primarly wooden farm style with ONE drawer I think I would have a drawer at each 'seat' so that (for ex a family of four) each person had their own drawer for paperwork/homework etc plus one for tablecloths/place mats/coasters, and one for cutlery.
We do homework and eat ALL our meals at the table, and I sit around with the family while they are doing their homework and drink a cup of coffee. I hope that helps.

Theas18 Tue 18-Oct-11 10:04:15

If you make it "family of 4 size" there an awful lot of families bigger that you will exclude- or you can't have friends without squashing up etc.

My ideal table is 6 people and wooden, not fussed re drawers etc

PandaG Tue 18-Oct-11 10:13:22

really tricky brief I think, as what woiuld suit one familyt would not suit another, that is why there are so many sizes and designs to choose from in any one store - just look at Ikea's website for example.

But, for our family (of 4) we eat at the kitchen table, homework gets doen there, as does art and craft projects, I do my paperwork there, and we ofetn have another family round so it has to seat 9 people quite frequently. Kids cook quite a lot, and usually use the kitchen table as their preparation surface instead of ther kitchen worktop as it is more their height.

OUr kitchen is not huge, and the table is in the middle of it, if the table is extended to seat 9 it is difficult to open the dishwasher, freezer, or frankly to walk round the table if anyone is sat at it. therfore fro us the table has to be able to extend.

Wipeable, heatproof surface would be good, so I don't have to worry about mats for dishes straight out if the oven.

Drawers in it - not too bothered, I have a cutlery drawer in the kitchen anyway.

But, we are trying to move, hopefully to somewhere with a separate dining room, so what I would want out of a kitchen table in my next house would be different again.

hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now