Talk

Advanced search

Telling lies to get attention - how to handle?

(3 Posts)
cobbledtogether Fri 07-Oct-11 12:47:14

We've been having a problem recently where one of DC's "friends" has been telling lies about what she's said and done to the extent that others have stopped being her friend. We presume its to get attention as that's certainly what it generated, but goodness knows what their real motivations are.

The advice we've been giving so far is to rise above it and to stick with the people who know the truth and it will blow over, but its obviously very upsetting for her.

My concern is that if she makes a bit deal of refuting what's being said, it will keep it going longer or create a "I think she doth protest too much" feeling, as the people who have bothered to find out the truth have defended her and made her feel better, so why bother with the ones that haven't and have taken what they've been told at face value? Sadly though she's getting to the stage where its a bit too much to take.

Do I tell her to fight back, or is avoiding the 'ex friend' and rising above it the best option?

Argh. Bloody childishness!!

CotherMuckingFuntingZombie Fri 07-Oct-11 12:53:06

I would give a simple explanation just once. Unfortunately there will always be people who make things up for attention and there will always be those who choose to believe the lying attention seeking one but you can generally rely on them fucking up and tying themselves in knots with their lies.

Good luck to your dd.

cobbledtogether Fri 07-Oct-11 13:01:28

I'm sure you're right - there are some folk who thrive on this kind of thing. Its just hard when its affecting one of your own!

I will tell her to keep rising above it. People are only interested in a drama for so long before they move onto the next thing and then it will be someone else's turn. At least she's found out who her friends are - although I think she'd scream at me if I came out with that one at the moment!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now