Talk

Advanced search

DD (17) takes morning after pill

(12 Posts)
wotabouttheworkers Tue 27-Sep-11 16:48:46

DD has been poorly. I was not in on her consultation with the GP. She came out with 2 prescriptions, one for an antibio and the other for a morning after pill. I liberal & knew she was sleeping with her (very nice) bf and that she had been on the pill. Turns out she's not been taking it and so I have had (again) the morning-after-pill-is-not-a-form-of-contraception and the please-take-responsibility-for your-own-situation, health-and-safety-and-the-talk-to-your-bf-and-make sure-he-takes-precautions conversations. She's in her last year at school & wants to go to university. At least I know about it and at least the m.a. pill has not made her sick (as it did me, years ago). I am still sure that a frank, pragmatic approach works best rather than laying down the law about not having sex. Interested to know of other views and experiences. Has anyone been left holding the baby while your DD or DS finishes his/her education confused

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Tue 27-Sep-11 16:54:42

But frank and pragmatic won't work if she's not taking the pill. Are antibiotics OK when taking the morning after pill? The fact you've asked about being left with the baby says it all really. If she knows you'll just take charge if she gets pregnant then she really has nothing to worry about does she? At 17 she is old enough to take responsibility for her own contraception and really, I would blow my top if I found out my dd was taking silly risks. It's time for a big talk, you need to outline that if she gets pregnant then on her head be it. Would you really want to give up your own life to look after her baby?

PotteringAlong Tue 27-Sep-11 16:58:34

I think you need a serious chat about contraception here and look at all her options.

If sh's not takin g the pill what about other, longer lasting forms? The implant or the injection maybe?

Send her back to talk to the nurse!

Theas18 Wed 28-Sep-11 19:27:48

She's 17, she's quite entitled to have sex but needs to do it responsibly ie not catch anything or get pregnant.

MAP is appropriate her and I hope she's talked through "quick start" method of getting back on her pill.

However, if she isn't taking it now then she isn't likely to become a reliable pill taker overnight. I would be really twisting her arm to have an implant - brilliant forgettable contraception, yet at the point she wants a baby it comes out and her fertility is back straight away.

First question though is what does she really want in life? To me, and OK I'm a control freak, not taking contraception seriously means you want to get pregnant- either consciously or unconsciously. If SHE wants to go to uni then she must realize that taking risks isn't an option.

PonceyMcPonce Wed 28-Sep-11 19:31:27

Really basic stuff like setting an alarm on her phone might help her to remember to take it. 17yo are rarely apart from their phone ime

SnapesOnAPlane Wed 28-Sep-11 19:40:24

Have you discussed other contraceptives with her? Such as the implant, as it doesn't need to be taken daily or anything forgettable.
And no, haven't been dumped with a baby whilst either DD finishes their education. They wouldn't bloody dare grin

wotabouttheworkers Wed 28-Sep-11 21:55:19

Thanks for your replies. She left a leaflet with info on different methods of contraception in the kitchen for me to find, then refused point blank to discuss the matter. I think an implant might be a good solution - will go on trying to have a discussion with her and have also suggested she goes back to see the same doctor (whom she likes) to talk it over. Will also buy condoms to go in her handbag. She will talk to me about anything except sex. She seems to think she and her siblings were immaculately conceived.

mumsamilitant Thu 29-Sep-11 11:57:43

Have to say that I wouldn't talk to my parents about sex at that age. Also was rather forgetful about taking the pill (in those days there weren't any other options).

Encouraging an implant or the depo injection is the way to go (depo lasts about 3 months and is injected into the upper thigh).

booyhoo Thu 29-Sep-11 12:00:57

sounds like she wants to get pregnant and sounds like you expect her to.

DurhamDurham Thu 29-Sep-11 12:04:07

My DD1, 18,has just had the implant, it seemed the most practical solution for her. She arranged it herself, I did offer to go with her but she chose to go with her friend. She was left a bit bruised and sore for a few days but it's settled down now. She tells me her periods have all but stopped and she sees this as an added bonus.

booyhoo Thu 29-Sep-11 12:04:52

OP i woul advise against you buying her condoms. doing that tells her that you willtake responsibility for her contraception and that you will most likelytake responsibility for ay contraceptive failures (a baby). you need to make it clear that hercontraceptions is totally her responsibility as isthe consequence of not usingany.

yellowraincoat Thu 29-Sep-11 12:17:41

Honestly, I think you've done all you can. She's 17, she's not a child any more. I know you don't want her to get pregnant at her age, but she has to start taking responsibility for her actions. She's read about her options, you've given her advice - short of marching her down to the doctors and forcing the injection/implant on her, there's not much you can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now