We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How can you get your downright manky teen to clean themselves properly?

(13 Posts)
kerrymumbles Sun 25-Sep-11 22:01:33

ds1's hair has the texture of dreads and it's only an inch or two long! His shampooing must consist of a drop in the center of his head which he immediately rinses out.

he hasn't started to smell yet. he is in the shower for eons but never seems to use any soap.

at almost 13 I can hardly bathe him ffs and it's been quite some years since I have.

what do I do?

JohnniesBitch Mon 26-Sep-11 10:38:10

ds1 is 14 and i stand over him once a week directing him how to wash his hair and making sure sopa and flannel come into contact with all the major areas!

if he cant be trusted to wash himself then, he needs supervision like his younger siblings.

JohnniesBitch Mon 26-Sep-11 10:40:12

the rest of the time he baths but im not sure any soap comes into play, he seems to think a lengthy spray of deodrant cleasn him. and don;t get me started on how painful it is to get him to brush his teeth! I have no idea why as the rest of us brush our teeth teice a day without issue and shower and bath using soap and shampoo.

GnomeDePlume Mon 26-Sep-11 20:08:58

DS will have a shower but forget to wash his hair (not sure he remembers to wash body but the hair is obvious). If his hair isnt washed to my satisfaction then he gets sent back to do it again. Usually the excuse is that there wasnt any shampoo in the DCs bathroom. He never thinks to ask!

No idea how he manages to forget to brush his teeth (surely the parrot cage taste would be a reminder?) but he does. Again, he just gets sent back to do it again.

On the plus side DS gets lots of exercise running up and down stairs to re do the things he has not done well!

DS is keen on an army career so I keep going onto him about how important looking after himself is for a soldier. It is very slowly going in.

SecretSquirrels Tue 27-Sep-11 11:57:08

Is there a 13 year old boy who doesn't go through this phase?
The cure is......girls.
You will know when this happens because suddenly he will be washed and groomed and sweet smelling and he will spend hours styling his hair (with imperceptible results wink).

kerrymumbles Tue 27-Sep-11 17:43:08

i take it back.

he has started to smell.

he got in car today after school, peeled off his jumper

envy that's for vomit. not envy

madmomma Tue 04-Oct-11 22:02:32

I agree with Gnomedeplume. The only thing that worked with my daughter (early puberty at 8 very stinky) was a zero tolerance approach, and it took persistence. Compulsary shower every morning, followed by the 'sniff test'. Many a time she was sent back to the shower to re-wash. I thought she would never get any pride, but she did, and is very careful about hygeine. My son is only a baby, but I'm going to be even tougher on him when he hits puberty, because I think it's going to do him a great favour to get him set in clean habits. My brother is 35 and still can't seem to tell when he stinks!

tigs98 Fri 07-Oct-11 14:01:27

my ds seems to have the same problem kerrymumbles, but I insist on him having a bath nightly and if he misses one then it's a shower in the morning, he always insists that he's washed although at times I'm unsure! He is beginning to take a little more care of his hair and styles it every morning now and he has started to use the mini aftershaves we got him for his birthday (result), he plays loads of sport so I try and tell him very subtly that it is important to wash with soap daily to avoid being called names etc at school. He's just turned 13 now and although it's not all done quite to my standards the fact is he is starting to take a little more care of himself now, slow and steady wins the race................... I hope! lol, Good luck! x

Theas18 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:28:39

Um yup! Sniff test and " you are going now where/ watching not tv/ wearing no dinner/ the Internet is off etc until you are clean and shiny including teeth".

The 15yr old washes regularly but teeth are a bit hit and miss I regularly poke him out of bed at 11pm if his tooth brush is dry ( he hasn't got wise to just wetting I thank goodness !). It's dd2 (12) who smells sweaty . I think she just hasnt got the hang of either showering often enough or using enough deodorant and letting it dry. Fed up if " sniff testing" clothes! She does fo her teeth though..

How can a basically , at least rinsed clean alternate days girl, produce 1 day worn school blouses that, in hot weather need a double wash to stop them smelling sweaty- that's not good!

Theas18 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:31:06

Btw we gave up subtle years ago I'm afraid- you smell sweaty go and wash properly and use deo and a lean shirt is what's said! They don't seem to traumatised and it gets over ckealy what needs to haplen

Sevenfold Sat 08-Oct-11 23:35:11

KM, simple, they get a girl...then they magically discover soap

madmomma Sun 09-Oct-11 12:03:17

Theas my daughter is exactly the same and has been since she was ten. I thought it was my washer til I got a new one and her shirts still stank after a wash. She just has extra stinky sweat, poor girl.

Nickyleigh Mon 10-Oct-11 16:42:48

Good luck with this!! Have been trying to get my stepdaughter to shower and look after her personal hygiene for the last four years, she is now 16 and working and will still lie about having a shower, has no shame in ponging at all :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now