Talk

Advanced search

has anyone been through the dore program for reading and writting difficulties

(15 Posts)
perfumelady Thu 15-Dec-05 20:06:46

my ds is 14, and has a reading age of 9, we have had a private tutor which he seemed to do well with but he hasn't got much confidence and can't cope to well in a class room enviroment.

he is very forgetful, always looks tierd and never seems to have any energy.his hand writting is not good neither is his spelling, and he doen't like playing sports.

i have found an organization called the dore centre they claim to be able to help children and adults with fantastic results through a personally taylored excercise program(which lasts for a year) the idea is these exercises, which he will have to do twice a day everyday are supposed to start the little back brain (thinking brain) working properly with amazing results. my only concern is that it is a privatly funded centre so we have to pay a lot of money to see him through the program, don't get me wrong if this means it will help my son then i'd pay any amount of money. i would just like some reasurance from anyone who may have been through the dore program, as to its success rate and weither it is recommended etc

alibubbles Thu 15-Dec-05 22:00:28

Message withdrawn

QueenBodicea Tue 21-Mar-06 14:10:54

Am bumping this thread as my 8 year old son is about to be assessed for this programme. He has ADHD and problems with his fine motor skills, in particular handwriting, which have been referred to as dyspraxic tendencies. I do not know anyone whose child has participated in this programme but I have read very good reports of the improvements made by children who have taken part. I would love to hear any mumsnetters' experiences, good or bad.

alibubbles Tue 21-Mar-06 14:46:56

My friends two daughters, 10 and 11( nearly 12) are both on the programme. I went with her to see what it was all about. I thought it looked interesting and worth considering. very expensive though.

The 10 year old is severely dyslexic, it has made some difference to her practical skills, but reading age is still poor, she has been on it for 9 months.

Not sure about the elder one, her mum is not convinced it has made any difference at all, but it does take longer with an older child to show signs of progress. She is bored with it, so probably doesn't apply herself as well as she should.

sis Tue 21-Mar-06 14:58:40

I looked at the website for ds who is seven and diagnosed with high functioning autism but didn't find anything useful about the dore method itself - just lots of stuff saying how good it was. Does anyone have any idea of what they actually do?

QueenBodicea Tue 21-Mar-06 15:14:11

Thanks for the feedback.
I understand that the programme involves 10 minute balancing type exercises morning and evening which are meant to re-train the cerebullum part of the brain. Fortunately my
DS's reading and spelling is OK but his concentation is poor and his handwriting and drawing is like that of a much younger child. I am hoping that this programme will make some difference at least but I realise there is no miracle cure!

JudePet Thu 07-Feb-08 14:15:55

My son has severe dyslexia and ADHD and totally struggles with school - am reading Dore book at moment, only half way through so had not yet realised how much it cost. Can see some sense in theory , just hope he shares the exercises for free. Think the guy is great for investing his life savings in it all because he wanted to cure his daughter who had tried to commit suicide because her learning diffuculties had left her with such low self esteem - that moved me as my son defintely has very low self esteem when he judges his academic progress against that of his classmates - heatbreaking !!

JudePet Thu 07-Feb-08 14:15:57

My son has severe dyslexia and ADHD and totally struggles with school - am reading Dore book at moment, only half way through so had not yet realised how much it cost. Can see some sense in theory , just hope he shares the exercises for free. Think the guy is great for investing his life savings in it all because he wanted to cure his daughter who had tried to commit suicide because her learning diffuculties had left her with such low self esteem - that moved me as my son defintely has very low self esteem when he judges his academic progress against that of his classmates - heatbreaking !!

mumeeee Thu 07-Feb-08 23:37:34

Don't waste your money on expensive prograames. There are all sorts of exercises and activiis your son can do that will help with his problems.
DD3 16 is dyspraxic. She had some sesions with an OT when she was younger and also went along to a group for dyspraxic children wjere she was given exercises to do at home. These were things like walking along straight lines,doing arm lifts with baked bean cans ,throwing and catching balls.
The activities we got her into were swimming,trampolining and Drama.
She still loves Drama and this has really boosted her social and concentration skills

rarp Sat 23-Aug-08 18:36:01

Looking at the Dore programme for our grandson, who is 8yrs old. read quite a lot but would like to here from others who have first hand experience of this programme, we are due to have assesment in September, any help would be appreciated.

bramblebooks Sat 23-Aug-08 18:40:48

From what I understand, the Dore programme recently went 'under' and there has been a lot of trouble for people who'd paid for a full series of help. It might be worth finding out if they will be able to follow through on promises. Good luck.

LIZS Sat 23-Aug-08 18:41:31

Thought they'd gone out of business .

jammydodger Sat 23-Aug-08 18:41:44

I heard a programme on radio 4 about the Dore program the other day - you might be able to find it and listen on the website, perhaps. It basically explained why it was a waste of parents' money, is a con, and apparently has gone into receivership...lots of academics criticising the v flawed "research" on which it is based...etc etc, I wouldn't touch it personally.
There are, as someone else has mentioned, lots of other things you can do to help, which don't cost anything. There are lots of good books that your library could get for you, for example, with "brain training" etc.

zippitippitoes Sat 23-Aug-08 18:44:25

honestly i absolutely wouldnt touch it with a bargepole

most of their effort was in aggressive sales force and marketing

catchy Tue 21-Oct-08 23:07:54

I normally wouldnt write on a forum, but I have to stick up for DORE. Just remember many of the great medical discoveries of this modern era, were unaccepted by general opinion for years before they were proven to work. Eg washing hands to reduce the spread of infection - look it up.
Im a professional degree educated (Imperial College) 37 year old,and was as sceptical as the next person of this new and un-accepted methodology, but was willing to give it a try. I completed a years DORE program last April a week before they went under - thank goodness for me.
I think what DORE is doing is providing extremely valuable non-drug treatment for something which hinders the lives of many many people. My only regret is how long I had to live before I found DORE, but Im so glad I did find it and am greatful for that. Im more confident, have more meaningful relationships with all others in my life, feel understood for the first time in life, have stopped jumping from one job to another, have improved short term memory, improved time management, can understand my own emotions better, I no longer suffer from depression as I did pretty much constantly. I think Ive made my point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now