Talk

Advanced search

Law around kicking out teenagers?

(7 Posts)
Hereawhile Wed 07-Sep-11 00:10:18

One of my daughters friends (13) was recently kicked out of the house by her mother. I understand that there had been some difficulty but quite to what extent I'm unsure.

I believe that she is now living with her Dad and is fine.

But it got me wondering and raised some questions as to whether or not due to her age this was legal?

Are there laws to protect children of this age from being kicked out? Does it class as abandonment? Could the parent be prosecuted, even though alternative accommodation was found?

I had a quick search around the net but couldn't find anything. If anyone could point me in the right direction with a link or two that would be great. Or better still any family lawyers out there ?

Cheers smile

ellisbell Wed 07-Sep-11 09:45:34

Not a family lawyer but know of girls who have left home to live with someone else. Social services should be involved as but the child is being looked after they will be unlikely to intervene. If they did they would try to get the child back home, once they are 16 the child can effectively stay where they like. It means the child is registered as vulnerable and that means social services have legal obligations to the child past 18. So it's in the child's interest that social services are involved.

Theas18 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:47:31

Umm you don't know any of the background or how the parental responsibility/residence is split between parents in this presumably divorced home do you?
I'm afraid I wouldn't class a 13yr old leaving mum to live with dad as being "kicked out" often it's as simple as the grass being greener- a few days or even a week in the holidays with a non resident parent with be lots of "nice things" and not much in the way of boundary keeping as a rule ergo teen thinks life with dad is easier than rowing with mum about school/boyfriends etc etc as is the lot of a teen at home....
When dad puts the boundaries in place....hmmm

It can't IMHO be abandonment if she's living with a parent?

colditz Wed 07-Sep-11 09:47:40

The child is living with her otherparent, she isn't homeless and there is now no need for the SS to be involved.

Theas18 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:48:36

ellisbell if she's living with dad I can't see soc services looking into things at all- as long as they have joint parental responsibility etc

ellisbell Wed 07-Sep-11 09:51:32

you're right, of course - I was thinking about the general issue of children being thrown out and going to live with a non-parent.

colditz Wed 07-Sep-11 09:53:25

In that case the SS do want to be told. Not that they will do anything about it, but they do want to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now