Talk

Advanced search

Getting insurance for teenage driver (male)

(15 Posts)
stephendale Tue 30-Aug-11 09:31:59

My 17 year old son has a provisional driving licence. Any ideas where the best deal for car insurance for young male drivers is? I was quoted £7000 to add him to my car insurance....arghhh! What do other mums do?

AMumInScotland Tue 30-Aug-11 13:37:46

Wow that's a lot for a provisional licence-holder, it is usually not so bad then as after they pass the test.

We got a decent deal adding DS to our insurance (Admiral) after seeing some very scary quotes on the comparison sites.

Did you actually speak to a person at your insurers - sometimes they can explain what aspects are making it worse, and you can improve things by having a higher excess for example.

cat64 Tue 30-Aug-11 14:16:18

Message withdrawn

ScaredOfCows Tue 30-Aug-11 14:56:03

We've just insured our 17 year old son with this one. It cost £220 for 3 months, and the insurance is in his name, so shouldn't affect my no claims bonus if he needs to claim on his insurance.

Try www.quinn-direct.co.uk/

Very reasonable for learners (my teen son is insured with them as a learner as was my daughter)

My son is taking his test soon and the sad thing is that when he does pass we can't afford to insure him as an actual driver..it's madsad

pinkchoccy Tue 30-Aug-11 18:50:38

I found insure the box really good. They fit a box into the car to assess how they drive. Good drivers are rewarded and get extra miles.

adamschic Tue 30-Aug-11 18:55:49

My insurance refused to quote to add DD to my car. She is taking lessons with an instructor anyway and will plug away at it until she passes, after that I may change to a lower insurance group car, add her but get her to pay the difference.

MrsChemist Tue 30-Aug-11 19:02:16

I've got co-op young drivers insurance. They also add a box to your car to monitor your driving. My premium is pretty high, but I get money back by driving well.

That's for me as the main policy holder though.

Theas18 Wed 31-Aug-11 22:31:41

THe policies that insure the young driver themselves rather than adding them to your policy seem the best bet.A curfew so they can't drive at nighgt might help too.Have also heard of the "black box" thingy that monitors driving - speeding, harsh accelerating/braking etc .

Good luck! We looked into this for our DD anmd that was spendy enough , but for a boy it's just terrible .

cat64 Wed 31-Aug-11 23:35:27

Message withdrawn

stephendale Thu 01-Sep-11 14:29:41

Thank you all for your help. By following one of the threads above we have managed to get 5 months cover for a provisional licence for £280. THANK YOU!!!

eatyourveg Thu 01-Sep-11 17:20:33

spill please - which thread gave you a deal like that! Cheapest I've found is marmalade but £280 for 5 months is a lot cheaper

inkyfingers Thu 01-Sep-11 17:30:49

Medusa - I know just what you mean. Our son will not be able to buy a car when he passes his test (doesn't need one anyway) and the cost of putting him on our insurance is just out of the question, unless for odd month.

So really no point in him passing; he'll effectively have to stop driving which is just insane until he's 22? when premiums start to go down.

I don't know why we can't continue with insurance as it is, even when he has passed, so that if he drives he has insured driver with him (as now). At least it keeps his skills up and allows experience on motorways etc. If he did that, his insurance should go down!! as he would be driving with a full licence.

AgathaCrusty Thu 01-Sep-11 22:14:04

eatyourveg not sure if this is the one that stephendale used, but www.coveredlearnerdriver.com is the cheapest we found.

There are some insurers who insure new drivers for around £1800 per year. Our DD's boyfriend used one who charged that amount - he had a tracker thingy on his car and couldn't drive it after 11pm or before 6am. Not sure who the insurer was, but will post when I've asked her about it.

eatyourveg Fri 02-Sep-11 07:10:47

thanks thats great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now