Talk

Advanced search

The perfect house for 4 teenage children....

(8 Posts)
mulranno Sun 28-Aug-11 13:44:26

will soon have 4 teenagers (2boys+2girls) and either building a house from scratch or extending existing - what layout/design/components will keep us all sane?

StewieGriffinsMom Sun 28-Aug-11 13:46:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mousymouse Sun 28-Aug-11 13:47:19

granny annex with 4 bedrooms for the dc.

Maryz Sun 28-Aug-11 15:16:08

A separate toilet for the boys, so that they can clean it themselves [bleurgh].

In fact, if I was building myself, with your lot, I would build four bedrooms (all exactly the same size), with Jack and Jill bathrooms between each pair of rooms - boys share one, girls share one. Cupboards and bathrooms between rooms also cut down noise from room to room. And I would have my own en suite they weren't allowed into.

Large laundry/utility/boot room with drying space for boots/sports gear/schoolbags etc. All entry and exit from house through that room, not through the front door. Stairs direct from that room to their bedrooms.

One big sitting room with enough seats for everyone, so that you could at least have some pretence at a family life grin.

No study - a big enough kitchen to have computer in the corner, so that you can keep a bit of an eye.

A playroom divided from the hall/main house by a glass wall with no curtains, to watch comings and goings of various boyfriends/girlfriends.

As you may realise, I've thought a lot about this. My house has three teens, but none of the above, I don't even have my own loo [cries].

SecretSquirrels Sun 28-Aug-11 15:55:26

Yes to the playroom. With pool table and a ping pong table.
I only have boys though so have no idea what girls need!

I also second that large sitting room with lots of sofas for the odd occasion when everyone watches TV together.

I don't agree about the study though. Ours is a decent size so you can line it with desk and shelf space you can fit 2 or 3 computers in there so it's a kind of family computer room.

mulranno Sun 28-Aug-11 15:58:17

Maryz...liking it..! esp the glass walled playroom ..... do they do all of their homework/study in the kitchen - not bedrooms?

Maryz Sun 28-Aug-11 16:20:28

Homework in bedrooms.

Unless they need screaming at help.

Bonsoir Sun 28-Aug-11 16:26:00

Family computer room is good - our dining room is this most of the time (we eat in the kitchen unless people come over - so that you can keep an eye on their computer activities and also be in the same room for casual chats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now