Talk

Advanced search

Books for almost teenage girl

(13 Posts)
titchy Fri 12-Aug-11 12:15:23

Help!

I need recommendations for dd who desperately needs reading material. She likes Malorie Blackman, Gone series (Michael Grant), Cherub series, Twilight, Magyk series, Inkheart etc. She's not really into trashy romance type stuff but seems to have read everythign she wants to.

Suggestions?

pointydog Fri 12-Aug-11 20:38:48

Has she read the Louise Rennison series? V funny.

schroeder Fri 12-Aug-11 20:56:04

Has she tried any of the Alex rider series? They get a bit formulaic but the first few are good.

Philip Pullman's dark materials trilogy is very good.

Maybe something more grown up like Jane Austen? Terry Pratchett does some books for teenagers Nation is the one comes to mind, but I think there are quite a few more.

Any good?

I'll think some more.

ByTheSea Fri 12-Aug-11 21:01:45

DD-12 (also a Malorie Blackman fan) suggests the Clique (Lisi Harrison) books, Pretty Little Liars, Love Aubrey and Annexed (which is a bit historical). She also enjoyed Animal Farm recently.

brehon Fri 12-Aug-11 21:02:55

Titchy sorry I've got a bit of a list for you. If she likes he Cherub books she could try the Hendersons Boys books by the same author. Skullduggery Pleasant books by Derek Landy, books (can't remember the names) by Pseudonymous Bosch, Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan or the Power of Five books by Anthony Horowitz. Should keep her going for a week or two.

debrs4 Sat 13-Aug-11 09:23:44

If she enjoyed the Cherub series you could try James Patterson - Maximum Ride and Daniel X both good. Or The Enemy and it's two sequels by Charlie Higson - little bit gory but fantastic storylines.

titchy Mon 15-Aug-11 17:10:51

Many thanks!

she's already read the Dark Materials and peudonymous Bosch (and enjoyed both series) , and didn't really like Alex Rider - but will try some Terry Pratchett (dh has loads!) so thanks schroeder. I got a couple of Louise Rennison's and some Henderson Boys, plus the first Hunger Games so hopefully that'll keep her going on holiday.

Will look at the other recomendations as well - thanks!

cat64 Tue 16-Aug-11 00:05:04

Message withdrawn

cat64 Tue 16-Aug-11 00:06:21

Message withdrawn

StewieGriffinsMom Tue 16-Aug-11 00:11:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BerryMojito Tue 16-Aug-11 23:47:00

The two 'Shadowmagic' books by John Lenahan are very entertaining, with a great mix of magic, action and romance! The 'Wardstone Chronicles' by Joseph Delaney is excellent, although dark in places. I like Amanda Hocking's stories too, the 'Flutter' series, 'Trylle Trilogy' and 'Virtue'. Maria Snyder's 'Glass' series is worth looking at.

Eva Ibbotson's books are breathtaking although different from what you have said your daughter currently reads. Cassandra Clare is another excellent author although maybe better in a couple of years.

Could carry on for pages! grin

cat64 Tue 16-Aug-11 23:54:14

Message withdrawn

The 'Pretties' series by Scott Westfield/Westerfield?

Fabulous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now