Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas gifts for 14 yr old son? Advice wanted from Parents with older sons.

(17 Posts)
Toot Fri 05-Aug-11 19:59:58

My first charity card/gift booklet fell through the door today! This got me considering Christmas. This year my oldest Ds will be 14 and I'm at a loss for what to get him.

What do 14 yr olds get for Christmas? Too old for 'toys' but too young for cash - thought I'd ask those who had already been through this age with their children. Thanks.

Mowlem Fri 05-Aug-11 20:03:08

Has he got an iPod touch? Just the next generation are out soon, so the current gen will be reduced in some shops shortly. We saw one reduced in Argos to £115 a couple of days ago.

mycatsaysach Fri 05-Aug-11 20:04:42

yy ipod new phone all gadgets at that age and computer games smellies and dvds books cds or i tunes vouchers clothes always go down well

Maryz Sat 06-Aug-11 00:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BluddyMoFo Sat 06-Aug-11 00:23:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bruffin Sat 06-Aug-11 00:50:54

DS is 15
He would want more expensive clothes than he would normally get ie
custom made converse which is what he wants for his birthday next month.

last christmas he got a Green Day Wired Hoody which has inbuilt headphones which you can plug your ipod into .

I think he got a razor for christmas when he was 14.
He usually also want funny books, cds or itunes vouchers and more obscure dvds , he currently wants Quantum Leap.

Decent headphones, such as skullcandy or sennhauser.

Artwork for his room ie Banksy or framed posters.

generalhaig Sat 06-Aug-11 08:11:19

This year ds(14) is getting his room redecorated in a more 'grown-up' way, so cost of paint, curtains, new bed, rug etc

He was a bit hmm when I said it would be a combined Christmas/birthday present (January birthday) but I am trying to get him to realise that we are not made of money and that if he wants a new room then other things will have to wait ...

HoneyPablo Sat 06-Aug-11 08:17:59

I have a 22 DS and a 14 DD so have lots of years of debating what to buy.
They like gadgets, so games consoles, i-pod, camera, mobile phones etc.
They also like expensive trainers and designer gear. including fragnances.
I normally buy them stuff for their room, like duvet covers, rugs, etc.

They don't get all that every year grin
They also like cash too (who doesn't). But I do always ask them what they would like. I get a long list [sigh] and can choose a couple of things. That way, it's still a surprise but I know it's what they want.

Toot Sat 06-Aug-11 10:49:07

Some great examples there - thanks all.

Especially like putting stuff you'd buy anyway into a rucksack ect. Like the idea of posters/artwork for his room and the razor is also good (he's definately sprouting). All gadget idea good as are the clothes but he's not really a mad keen clothes sort of boy.

Lots of time between now and then but thanks for the head start.

brightermornings Sat 06-Aug-11 10:59:54

I usually get ds (16) some calvin klein boxers. He still get's a stocking with mini smellies in.I always get him a calendar for his room his fav football team.

bigbluebus Sat 06-Aug-11 11:58:05

Beware the "educational" Kindle. We encouraged DS to buy one before we went on holiday as he loves to take books to read but this year we were going by train so limited to what we could carry.
Foolish ignorant technophobes that we are, we have discovered that when he is in his bedroom once the PS3/computer games curfew has kicked in, he is able to use his Kindle to access the internet to do things other than download books!!!! Could resolve it by switching off Wi-fi but it is at time of evening when DH & I are usually using our laptops!!

mumsamilitant Mon 08-Aug-11 12:32:20

I have one DS of nearly 14 and will probably get totally "fleeced" as usual! He wants money this year for clothes so will give him £200. Then there's the "little surprise pressies" under the tree, which now a days usually add up to more than the main!!!!!

muddyangels123nomoreHPforme Mon 08-Aug-11 12:46:26

DS2 (14) will be getting a HD Tv/combi. to replace the old one that has just died. He's borrowing DS1s until then.wink.

Oh, and xbox games, smellies,boxers,cadet stuff etc....

bellavita Mon 08-Aug-11 22:42:33

Ds1 (14) will be getting an I-MAC for Christmas. He loved anything Apple... He has taken music as one of options and the I-MAC will help him greatly.

We have also him some concert tickets (he doesn't know) to see one of his favourite bands All Time Low in January.

Will also buy him some clothing, smellies and a couple of DVDs.

bellavita Mon 08-Aug-11 22:45:33

Bruffin - tell me where you got the Green Day Hoodie from (another one of his fave bands - seen them twice)

bruffin Mon 08-Aug-11 23:13:44

It's this one
I bought if from Pacsun which is a US website, but it's a limited edition so they don't have it anymore and I can only find it on ebay now.

bruffin Mon 08-Aug-11 23:14:54

Forgot to say you can't really see from the picture but all the lining is the same red material as the hood lining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now