Talk

Advanced search

Your opinions please

(8 Posts)
WillIEverBeASizeTen Tue 02-Aug-11 23:05:06

My DS is 13, very unfit and terribly lazy (I'm sure it's my fault) has played football last season but is so unfit can't be bothered to run for the ball. I told him he couldn't sign up again this season until he gets fit and starts being committed to this activity (his choice BTW) also as I'm PAYING for the privilege of watching him do nothing! Trust me, I'm not a pushy mum with Man Utd/Ronaldo aspirations, just think that boys should have an interest/hobby of some sort.

I have suggested a million other hobbies/activities that he might like to try, but to no avail, absolutely no interest. He has friends (they all more or less have an interest) so not a loner.

Now, do I just leave him to vegetate on the sofa with the Disney Channel, or do I keep plugging away?

mumblechum1 Wed 03-Aug-11 08:01:14

I think lots of boys aren't really all that keen on sport, but most will at least tolerate one.

Is he more likely to do team stuff or individual stuff? If team, then he could try American Football which is great fun if he's competetive and if he's overweight he could be a great tackler/blocker.

If he's not into the team thing, has he thought about something like karate or golf?

If he doesn't like the idea of any of that, would he go to the gym and lift some weights? Most of them would likek to have a hench body, esp as they get a bit older and into girls. Perhaps you could encourage it as a vanity thing?

What's his diet like?

I thought my ds would never do any sport as neither dh nor I remotely interested and he loathed football at primary but he now does rowing, American Football and karate. Getting an inspiring coach makes all the difference imo, someone who will encourage your ds rather than put him down for being slow at first.

eatyourveg Wed 03-Aug-11 08:11:19

What about getting him to mow the lawn and do some gardening? You could offer him pocket money. Alternatively you could encourage him to go down to the swimming pool with his mates - particularly good fun when there is an outside pool. Failing that you could have him run round the block to get the paper and time him each morning - see if he can increase his time each day. Set a target time and reward him for the mornings he reaches it. You might want to consider joining in and making it a competition for the summer holidays running alternate days and comparing times

Have you considered that he may not be getting involved with the football because the other team members are better than him? ( Might not be the case I know - just wondered if he was getting stick off anyone when he got the ball)

Bike rides with his friends?

I think the organised sport thing might be a put off. it certainly is for mine but they will happily take the ball down to the park or set up cricket in the garden or go swimming or off to the golf course when its an ad hoc thing rather than anything set in stone

oldenoughtowearpurple Wed 03-Aug-11 08:33:17

Does he want to carry on? Why? what's he getting out of it? Being with his mates? If he isn't getting anything out of it then by all means stop but if he's getting some pleasure then anything's better than vegging in front of the telly.

mumblechum1 Wed 03-Aug-11 10:03:33

One sneaky way of getting him to exercise would be not to give him any lifts and insist he goes everywhere on his bike.

onadifferentplanettoday Wed 03-Aug-11 10:13:56

Do 13 year olds still watch the Disney Channel? My two 13 and 15 have never been into sport but I have encouraged them to try different and more unusual things .DS1 is now clay shooting and DS2 climbing and they are both doing dry slope skiiing . If you look around lots of clubs are doing intro courses really cheaply at this time of year. Also look at your local council's website our local council has loads of activity days for older children this summer.

Theas18 Wed 03-Aug-11 16:07:59

If you want him to be more active then do more as a family. Just sending him to a sports club when he can't be bothered won't help. geocaching could be a winner- bit of technology and Internet work then a good walk. Should grab his interest at least a bit.

WillIEverBeASizeTen Thu 04-Aug-11 19:36:59

Thank you all for your great ideas and advice...the geocaching especially, that might be something that catches his interest <optimistic sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now