Talk

Advanced search

Taking money abroad

(9 Posts)
noddyholder Sun 31-Jul-11 13:09:33

What is the best way for a 17 yr old who is dyspraxic and needs something simple and easy! He is very sensible sometimes but is disorganised. Also he has decided not to take his iphone and so we want to buy him some sort of phone card?

suzikettles Sun 31-Jul-11 13:23:22

Pre-paid cash card? I think Moneysavingexpert have a section with the best deals. He can use it to pay for things by card and also to withdraw cash from a machine.

noddyholder Sun 31-Jul-11 13:24:09

Thanks will look smile

suzikettles Sun 31-Jul-11 13:24:11

Travel money info

noddyholder Sun 31-Jul-11 15:01:44

Thanks that looks ideal. Hope I can get it in time!

mumblechum1 Sun 31-Jul-11 20:49:08

Fairfx. I got one recently and was going to get a friends and family one for ds but decided not to bother as he'll be with us so will only need about $300 which he can take in cash (I'll mind it for him as and when)

Maryz Mon 01-Aug-11 16:41:49

ds is useless with money and phones but has survived a week in majorca shock.

He took an old phone with a free sim card in it and just put in numbers he needed. He took his bank card which works in Europe and a small amount of cash.

I stuck two lots of money in envelopes with sellotape in hidden parts of his bag - 100 euro stuck inside the lining of his bag, and 50 euro inside the small pocket of his washbag with a small first aid kit (savlon, aloe vera gel, neurofen, antihistamine cream, zirtec and some plasters).

I also copied his passport and he had a colour photocopy in his wallet, another with the 100 euros and another with his holiday insurance and a photocopy of his tickets and a list of useful numbers in the bottom of his bag.

Amazingly he accepted all this, and didn't need any of it (though spent all the money on the last day and came home with a horrible hangover and some very questionable tee-shirts).

noddyholder Mon 01-Aug-11 19:58:01

How much do you think a 17 yr old will need for a week? The hostel and flight are paid. And the hostel has free unlimited breakfast

Maryz Mon 01-Aug-11 21:29:53

It depends on where he is going and how much (if anything) he intends to drink.

ds was budgeting 25 euro a day for food (three meals, chips etc), and I suspect similar for drink shock. They had paid for two days out in advance (you know, those cruise thingies where there is a bbq with unlimited food and beer). They paid into a couple of nightclubs and also for taxis two of the nights. ds was in Majorca and said food and drink was just as expensive as Dublin, so he basically used everything he brought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now