Talk

Advanced search

Belly button piercing at 14... normal??

(10 Posts)
strongblackcoffee Sun 24-Jul-11 13:40:52

DSD has just had a belly button pierced (with her mother's consent). Am I being really out of touch, or is she just way too young for something like this? Would be genuinely interested to hear what other people think...

Nagini Sun 24-Jul-11 13:42:57

Too young. I'd judge judge judge.

(and as a 17 year old I got a tattoo and several piercings)

strongblackcoffee Sun 24-Jul-11 13:56:56

Yes I had several piercings in my teens, but I'm sure I was more like 17 as well. But seeing as everything else seems to be happening earlier these days, I wondered if this was more normal. I'm cross though, because I really do feel that she's too young.

GypsyMoth Sun 24-Jul-11 14:00:45

Well it's legal and her mum is her mum, her call.

alice15 Sun 24-Jul-11 16:43:01

Bylaws in our borough mean you can't get it done professionally under the age of 16 (I know this because my DD wanted it done at 14 but luckily I could use this to deter her, and so far she is rising 17 and still hasn't got round to it). I am sure this varies from one area to another, though, so 14 may be possible in some areas, unfortunately. However, it is reversible and thus not the end of the world, I suppose - better than a tattoo, anyway!

ednurse Sun 24-Jul-11 16:47:44

I had mine done at 13. I was the first but nearly everyone else had them shortly after.

This was 10 years ago.

strongblackcoffee Sun 24-Jul-11 21:59:21

Ah, she's growing up, I'd better get used to it! Trouble with non-resident step kids is that you're not surrounded by that age group, it all comes as a bit more of a surprise. Yes, much better than a tattoo!! (although I still secretly crave one myself...)

cory Sun 24-Jul-11 22:40:37

I don't judge other people but my dd is not allowed.

Theas18 Mon 25-Jul-11 11:19:40

Um not normal in the circles my girls move in but I am aware it happens....Can't help thinking what message a 14yr old with a belly button piercing is trying to give out though?

valentia Wed 27-Jul-11 13:38:46

Coming from a teen, yes that's totally normal these days. If anything that's nothing compared to the nose piercings (proud owner of a nearly week old one), tongue piercings, lip piercings, microdermals etc that teens get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now