Talk

Advanced search

Worrying about HPV Vaccination

(8 Posts)
Wormshuffler Wed 20-Jul-11 17:04:29

My DD12 has had the form sent home and needs an answer by tomorrow.
Now I am not usually scared about vaccination and both DC's have had a full vaccination program thus far. What worrys me about this one is that it is still relatively new, I understand the oldest children that have had it were born in 1991, making them 20 now, is that really enough time for us to know if they have any adverse effects on their fertility for example?
I am not usually a hysterical Mum but this one has got Me stressing.............any opinions gratefully recieved.

dexter73 Wed 20-Jul-11 17:55:54

My dd had it done 2 years ago. I read lots about it on the web beforehand and I was sure that vaccination was the right decision. Also my dd was keen to have it. What does your dd think about it?

Wormshuffler Wed 20-Jul-11 18:33:24

DD wants to have it, I'm worrying too much I guess, thanks for answering.

mich54321 Wed 20-Jul-11 23:21:39

Went through exactly the same thing myself a couple of weeks ago - researched on internet, spoke to friends (one is a nurse), spoke to girl next door who had the injection last year. One day thought yes, next decided no. In the end I decided that life is a lottery anyway (could get run over crossing the road tomorrow) but as my nurse friend said "do the benefits outweigh the negatives"

BitOfFun Wed 20-Jul-11 23:23:25

Anything like this has to undergo a lot of testing before it gets to market. I wouldnt worry about it.

GnomeDePlume Thu 21-Jul-11 20:02:30

DD1 had it a while ago. DD2 will have it when it is her time. If it were offered for boys then DS would have it.

Wormshuffler Thu 21-Jul-11 20:10:54

I have said no to this year, will probably end up doing it next year, but I really feel that it does nothing to promote the use of condoms. Also the first batch of kids that had it are now only 18/19 and more data will be avaliable should there be any long term side effects as time goes on.

dexter73 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:01

Even if someone is wearing a condom they can still transmit the virus through skin contact, so it is important to be vaccinated so you don't catch it that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now