Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how to block MSN?

(6 Posts)
exasperatedemma Mon 18-Jul-11 12:29:48

Help! I've managed to block Facebook so that my DD has to get me to log in each time she wants to go on it (she got rather obsessive recently over it!) but just as I have plugged that leak, she has switched back to MSN and constantly has it running in the background when she's supposed to be doing homework and I am worn out from being the MSN Police!
Anyone know how to block it?

purplecupcake Mon 18-Jul-11 12:38:22

just uninstall it and bedone with it forever, you might also look into blocking ebuddy , iloveim and all the other web chats

exasperatedemma Mon 18-Jul-11 12:47:20

it is uninstalled, but she can access it in a variety of ways - Microsoft are so clever, you only have to log on to any of their websites, Hotmail, MSN etc (there are so many web addresses that lead to the same thing) that I've blocked about 10 of the routes but she can still get there!!

SecretSquirrels Mon 18-Jul-11 18:24:40

Try posting in Geeky stuff?

exasperatedemma Tue 19-Jul-11 18:19:27

Thanks secretsquirrels - I will try that.

abcdefghijklmn Fri 22-Jul-11 19:22:19

As you say, deleting the programme itself isn't enough. Blocking the websites probably won't do much good either, because there are always just enough proxies to get around that sort of thing (and the Internet Explorer block is useless because it can be evaded by simply changing browser!)

I know you want to remove access to MSN completely, but this is just something to be aware of in case she manages to install it again: you can go to Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\Parental Controls and set up a password-protected time limit on her MSN use. That could allow you to compromise as well.

Really, the best way to guarantee that she won't be able to access it is to make her give you the password, so that only you can sign in for her. Make sure her computer's sound is on (by default, there is a sound notification for everything and she would have to disable each one individually to stop it making a tremendous noise. grin)

Make sure she's working in a room with an adult and try to sit so that you can see her computer screen. You won't even have to waste time being the "MSN Police"; she's unlikely to try anything if she thinks she's being watched.

The Internet has an endless supply of distractions, so it might be easier if you can tackle the fundamental problem and get her to do her homework first, with the promise of MSN time afterwards. Otherwise, it'll be Youtube next. wink

Good luck.
- a 16-year-old with inside knowledge of the various ways to avoid being blocked from MSN

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now