Talk

Advanced search

Holiday: Spending Money for a Teenager

(7 Posts)
littlejosh Fri 15-Jul-11 09:38:42

Hello

We are taking a family holiday to ROI in a couple of months (for about a week) and bringing DSS (teenager).

What is the normal amount of spending money, we would expect to give a teenager whilst on holiday and at this age, do you let them manage it themselves, so if its all spent on junk and nothing left to buy presents/trinkets (for others), do you top it up or leave it.

I should say, the time will probably be spent catching up and visiting family with a couple of days out.

Also if he asks or we are asked (by ex), if he should bring spending money...do we just say no (as we would be covering it) or is it acceptable to yes if he wants to.

Many Thanks

mumeeee Fri 15-Jul-11 12:27:31

How old is he? A 13 year old would need a bit more guidance then a 16 year old.

littlejosh Fri 15-Jul-11 15:36:25

15yo

cat64 Fri 15-Jul-11 16:31:41

Message withdrawn

inthesticks Sat 16-Jul-11 15:55:27

It really depends what you xpect him to pay for, rather like pocket money. If they have to pay for all their own entertainment/ snacks/ gifts then you would need to give more than if you were paying for those.
I have 15 and 13 year old boys. On holiday we've tried giving them spending money but it works out easier if we just pay as and when they want something. Obviously they would want some of their own money. I would expect mine to bring about £10 - £15 and if relatives want to give them holiday pocket money that's fine.

mumblechum1 Sun 17-Jul-11 12:37:53

Just for a week I'd give him £25. I don't think boys bother buying presents normally, so that's just walking around money, buying the odd burger, maybe going to the cinema or something.

mumblechum1 Sun 17-Jul-11 12:39:05

DS went to the states with a friend last year and only spent about £250 in 3 weeks and that included buying food for a camping trip, a lot of meals out, bus fares etc. They really don't need much at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now