Talk

Advanced search

Food List - Holiday with Teens, Adults and small toddly things

(27 Posts)
trident Sat 09-Jul-11 21:06:04

Hi There

Ok - A challenge - we are off on a holiday in Devon for a week - self-catering.

The party consists of 4 x 16 years old boy (all strapping 6ft+ lads) - 4 adults and 2 little ones....

I have convinced "him indoors" that a online shop and delivery from Sainsburys would be good to few hours after we arrive... aftre driving for 6-7 hours I do not want to face a supermarket shop....

So - what are my basics until we can ascertain exactly what is what - I am planning on just cooking 2-3 meals during the week - probably spag bol/chicken mexican feast and a BBQ.... so what do I need to put on the shopping list to satisfy the hunger for the boys.... and the other must have stuff.. probably only looking for a couple of days before we do a "good shop" - so snacks need to be considered too...

I will start the list with..

Bread
Butter
Bacon
Eggs
Sausages
Tomato Sauce
Milk
Marmite
Jam
Bacon
Cooking Oil
Loo Rolls
Washing Up Liquid

.... please add as you feel fit..

Thank You...

harbingerofdoom Sat 09-Jul-11 21:26:54

You're very brave! The 16 yr olds will eat far more than you could imagine.

Add to your list-
Cereal,lots of boxes
Pizzas-lots
Cake-lots
Also make sure you have plenty of bread (at least 2 loaves per day) and whatever they like on it.
Bananas?
Don't worry I know it's all carbs. but they don't half burn it off.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 09-Jul-11 21:33:55

Yes to cereal.
Crisps - a couple of cheese cobs, a bag of crisps and an apple each for easy picnic or indoor lunches.
Breadsticks and dips?
Hoummus and pittas and carrot sticks?

trident Sat 09-Jul-11 21:39:26

... thank you - keep the suggestions coming.... I forgot the Cereal Mountain...

...are teens allowed Fruit Shoots and Pot Noodles too - LOL !!!

Maryz Sat 09-Jul-11 21:48:28

Mine live on baked beans on toast, fried bacon and eggs, and pot noodles - only I'm too mean to buy pot noodles so I buy the cheap own brand ones in packets.

That plus whatever crisps/dips happen to be on special offer. And microwave popcorn. Cheap ham and cheese for toasties. Bagels if I am being generous. Frozen goods - fish fingers, chips, wedges, garlic bread.

Coke if you are nice grin.

Maryz Sat 09-Jul-11 21:50:31

Packet soup and sliced bread as well. Really helps on the filling up basis.

They are 16 hmm - at what stage do they expect beer grin. Not actually expecting you to buy, but just wondering shock.

Mine also eat satsumas and bananas (if you want to go down the healthy route).

maddiemostmerry Sat 09-Jul-11 21:52:54

Pain au chocolat
croissants
salad
jacket pots
cheese
pasta
pizza
water bottles
ice cream
fizzy stuff
tonnes of cereal
biscuits
lynxsmile

maddiemostmerry Sat 09-Jul-11 21:55:41

fruit flakes
hot dogs
grapes
pepperami type things

On a roll now

monkey9237 Sat 09-Jul-11 22:04:44

Dry sachet stuff like Colmans gravies, those Stockpot things, fajita spice sachet, curry spice sachet, stirfry/chowmein sauce sachet etc can make a pile of veg/meat/rice/noodles a bit more interesting and no need to cart millions of ingredients around. I always take a few when we go away.

trident Sat 09-Jul-11 22:30:53

.. thank you

As I thought it is mostly based on C* - so it is not just my teenager then ...

I must admit that the list is looking very much like an "end of days" or "Zoombie Invasion" list - but hey - my teenager loses interest after turning on the kettle to boil - so I should have learnt something.

I am guessing that stuffed olives and peppers would not go down well for nibbles then ???

I am dreading it - so far I have earmarked about £150+ on minimal stuff for the teenagers for a week if you include squash, lemonade etc

My list is growing ....

All suggestions greatly appreciated - as long at I can get them from Sainsburys online...

stleger Sat 09-Jul-11 22:32:32

Ds is Mr Koka Noodles. Dd1's boyfriend is Mr potato waffles which are waffly versatile. Pancakes (pre mix stuff if you have no scales) makes impressive breakfast - with nutella, strawberries etc.

trident Sat 09-Jul-11 22:39:29

..Lynx is banned ... work of the devil smile

maddiemostmerry Sat 09-Jul-11 22:44:06

I bet you one of the teens sneaks a can in.grin

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Sat 09-Jul-11 22:49:27

I have two teenage girls and they don't eat pot noodles, baked beans etc.

Rice noodles (just pour boiling water over) with edameme (sp?) and soy sauce;
tangerines and grapes;
crumpets;
they never seem to get bored with toast;
pitta bread pizzas - top pittas with red pesto, red pepper, olives etc and cheese then bake.

A huge pan of veggie chilli could be eaten with rice one evening and jacket potatoes another, maybe.

Qaesadillas and mango salsa.
Huge pan of chickpea curry?

trident Sat 09-Jul-11 23:01:23

...I am sure that they will.... I don't intend to offer a "pat down" or "cougar service" before we go - BUT I have 2 of them in my car (as they are split between two cars on the way down) ...

They will be a captive audience and I shall make them aware of what is acceptable and what is not as regards alcohol.... I can be pretty boring especially on a long haul journey - I have never had Botox so my face shows it all - even in the reflection from the internal mirror...

Seriously though I know that teens are a handful - I hope and pray that I can return them to their parents in the same condition that we have received them - with the added bonus of them having a great time....

Wish me luck.

grin

stleger Sat 09-Jul-11 23:08:15

Good luck! Just make sure they know what to do if there is an emergency - phone for help, recovery position, stay with the injured/ill person and keep him warm. 99.9% of the time teenage boys are great.smile

inthesticks Sun 10-Jul-11 14:45:04

I second what everyone else says about huge quantities of carbs. You will need that Sainsburys delivery lorry filled to the brim.Do not bother with fruit in any shape or form unless it's for yourself.
They will also drink gallons. I'd get those 2 litre bottles of cola, lemonade etc.
I think at 16 some beer may be reasonable, my experience of 15/16 year old parties is that a small bottle of beer is acceptable to most parents.

I think it will be great grin

Agree that a couple of beers would be fine. Dd1 likes a v v diluted Pimms and lemonade every now and then but I guess that teenage boys would be happier with lager or lager shandy?

Sqash is much cheaper than Coke etc and is nice with fizzy water (I buy the big multi packs of sparkling water).

My two eat so much fruit we can hardly keep up with buying it for them - are they really that unusual?

inthesticks Sun 10-Jul-11 16:53:26

Mine eat fruit but only because I make them put it in front of them. Shameful I know. I have never known mine or visiting teenage boys to voluntarily eat fruit.

Must be a girl thing then! having said that, we took a mixed bunch of teenagers on a school resifential last year and they ate three week's worth of their usual fruit supplies in four days - I don't think that it was only the girls! smile

More easy and filling picnic lunch ideas -

cous cous with chunks of roasted red pepper, red onion etc plus some grilled haloumi;

Little quiches made in jam tart trays (these travel well so you could make them before you go maybe);

veggie samosas;

cold pizza slices -

all served with carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks, radishes, celery etc.

Scuse typos - was reading a book and typing at same time blush.

sunnydelight Mon 11-Jul-11 08:43:30

Remus' post reminded me of the day I baked 24 mini quiches, left them to cool on the counter, and came home to find 17yo DS1 had eaten 21 as a snack (he was totally puzzled as to why I wasn't very pleased as he had very considerately left one each for myself and his two siblings) grin Think BULK.

circular Mon 11-Jul-11 13:25:39

Breadsticks
Dips
Yogurt
Raisins
(aimed more at the little ones

instant noodles (not pot noodle, the Sainsbury own in the square pack that are < 30p each)

TWENTY ONE?!!!!!!!

I once got home from work to find that my dp had eaten thirteen creme eggs. [hshock]

WHY didn't my Harry Potter shock face work? Gah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now