Talk

Advanced search

DD has gone to a (very safe) festival; she went on Thursday & I have had 1 2 minute phone call; this is normal right?

(16 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 09-Jul-11 08:59:57

When she goes with school/guides we speak morning & night each day

Is she growing up hmm?

RosieAndGin Sat 09-Jul-11 09:03:25

Dd went to glasto last month, I had 2 texts and and one phone call which was coldplay singing hmm

Pancakeflipper Sat 09-Jul-11 09:05:38

It's normal. She's having a blast and so much fun. She'd phone if she was homesick.

I used to go to various 'safe' festivals at the age of 16 onwards. I would depart Weds afternoon and reappear rather smelly on the Monday. I never ever phoned home. Out of sight out of mind.

KatyMac Sat 09-Jul-11 09:06:30

DD is only 13 so this is a big step for us....Glastonbury would be waa-aaay too much, too far, too big, too everything

bigTillyMint Sat 09-Jul-11 09:09:51

When DC's went on school journey (7 days in Y5, 5 days in Y6), we didn't hear from them at all for a week. Same with cub camps.

She is growing up, and having fun. smile

KatyMac Sat 09-Jul-11 09:17:50

I don't like it

I think it should stop; I don't want to be mummy to an adult wink

follyfoot Sat 09-Jul-11 09:20:11

Its tough isnt it. I'd say its normal though, so dont worry (as if thats ever possible).

wotabouttheworkers Sat 09-Jul-11 09:26:15

In the unlikely event of anything going wrong, she will get in touch. You cannot keep them locked up and also expect them to grow up. Each age has its interest and its ups and downs. Would you want a child for ever? The only way you can do that is to have one baby after another for a long, long time or not have children at all. Hope she has had a fab time!

KatyMac Sat 09-Jul-11 09:31:34

One baby after another hmm I 'almost' do that don't I

I suppose I'll let her grow up (I mean I let her go didn't I?)

But I don't have to like it wink

Oh it is hard tho' next she will have a 'boyfriend' <gulp>

KatyMac Sat 09-Jul-11 10:38:11

I texted an adult there......DD is having a 'sound bath' which sounds very lentil weavery imo

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-11 20:17:36

She is coming home after the last concert, so leaving at 11

I hope they put the tent down before the concert started

cat64 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:32:11

Message withdrawn

KatyMac Sun 10-Jul-11 20:49:13

Do you know I think you are right & she didn't

But maybe I'm feeling it more this time wink

KatyMac Mon 11-Jul-11 22:45:13

She had the best time ever (apparently)

WannaBeMarryPoppins Tue 12-Jul-11 00:03:55

My mum always said that if we didn't call from camp/holidays or whatever it was a good sign. If something would be wrong, she or one of her friends would call you. As long as it's quiet you know she is alright.

Oh and I usually called my mum twice from camp, once in the beginning of the three weeks, saying that we arrived safely, and once at the end, to tell her when exactly to pick me up. Only once I clled more often, and that was when I was terribly homesick. So the rule stands, kids call when they do not feel well.

mankyminks Tue 19-Jul-11 21:00:03

My just 11 year old DS is away with scouting to Croatia for 2 weeks this summer.......... No phones allowed. They do run a blog though so we can keep track of their activities etc. We thought it would do him the world of good in terms of becoming a bit more self sufficient before going to secondary school. I'm convinced he will LOVE it and will possibly not give the home front a second thought. As for me.......... grow up mother,grow up because there's nothing gonna stop them doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now