Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Motor Insurance

(8 Posts)
senua Fri 08-Jul-11 10:45:58

DD is back from Uni and wants insurance for the summer only but everything seems geared to annual policies. There are a few short-term policies but they are 28 day max.

There must be companies out there offering student-friendly policies - who are they? And before anyone says it: no, the answer is not Endsleigh.

Socy Fri 08-Jul-11 12:14:27

Is this for her own insurance or to add her to yours? You can add and take off people from your insurance whenever you like, as far as I'm aware.

Lilymaid Fri 08-Jul-11 12:25:43

We have added DS for vacation periods on my car insurance though our insurer unfortunately now charges an admin charge on top of the sum for insurance which makes it even more expensive.

COCKadoodledooo Fri 08-Jul-11 12:33:03

It was a long long time ago now, but when I was to be insured on mum's car in uni holidays, the 'admin fees' added up to something ridiculous, so it actually worked out cheaper to add me to the policy for the full year. Saves the hassle at the end of each term too.

senua Fri 08-Jul-11 18:08:51

This is for insurance on DD's own car.
We spoke to a broker and he said that there isn't any provision for short term policies. For an annual policy, there wasn't much difference between insuring directly in her name and insuring it in my name with her as a named driver for 90 days (because my NCD is on my car and they won't give it twice).

GnomeDePlume Sun 10-Jul-11 20:45:44

senua you can cut the cost of the student's insurance by getting yourself (and every other responsible adult you can find) named as drivers. It does make quite a difference.

custardismyhamster Mon 11-Jul-11 23:09:54

senua if she owns the car you can't have the policy in your name because thats fronting and if it's discovered they will void the policy

senua Wed 13-Jul-11 10:09:05

Thanks custard but we weren't being devious. We wanted short-term cover for the holidays in her name. But would have settled for an annual cover in my name because the car would be at home with us all year, with her only occasionally driving it in the vacations, so I would in actuality have more access to it than her.

As it turns out, she is missing some paperwork that she needs to unSORN it so we are waiting on that and then we are away on holiday and then ...
It will be a miracle if she gets to drive it for more than a fortnight before it's time to go back!

This could have been planned better but it's her car and she ought to sort it out. I mustn't take over and infantalise her. <sits on hands and bites tongue at same time>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now