Talk

Advanced search

motivating a 13 year old!

(3 Posts)
frazzled123 Thu 07-Jul-11 18:34:34

My son turns 14 on Sunday. He's just been dropped from his football team after two years of playing for them - reason? Because of his height (he's not noticeably short until he stands next to the rest of the team!! They are HUGE!) - the Manager of the team obviously preferred taller boys in the team and has said he can still train with them (as if!).

He's completely turned off football. This is such a shame as he's a naturally very sporty boy and loves being active. All he wants to do is sit on his laptop sulking and absolutely goes nuts at the mere mention of even playing five a side in a non-competetive league, which is right on our doorstep! All his friends are tall and are playing competetive football in teams which just makes matters worse!

Has anyone had a similar experience? If so - how on earth did you get them back on track? I'm so worried he's going to just give up on sport, which is such a shame at this age - but don't want to nag him to do something he's quite understandably been put off doing.

WillIEverBeASizeTen Thu 07-Jul-11 19:51:11

Never heard of this before. My son's team has boys of all different heights, can't see an issue personally (maybe in basketball confused).

Is there another team fairly locally? I'm sure there are other teams quite willing to take him, especially if he is keen and motivated. Sounds like the manager is uber competitive and fancies himself as the next Alex Ferguson grin

Socy Fri 08-Jul-11 16:46:42

I have no experience of this either, but I do recall reading somewhere that at this age where height can vary so much it is the teams with the biggest boys who win, regardless of skill - it may be worth pointing this out to your son so that he understands that he was not dropped because he is no good, (and of course, emphasise that they all grow at different times and he will probably be as tall as the rest of them in a couple of years time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now