Talk

Advanced search

Dd and book day

(6 Posts)
Bloodybookday Tue 28-Jun-11 20:17:24

have name changed here.
Dd is yr 9 and has bad OCD.
She has not done as well as she hoped in her exams, as she was very stressed, horrible period which makes OCD worse, and went to pieces.
Today she got her ENglish back- a subject she has done well in, and was very disappointed.
She has cried tonight, why aren't I normal, my life is crap....trying to self harm.
To cap it all it's book day on Friday. They have to dress up- fgs they're yr 9.
She doesn't 't want to as all her friends have gone into little groups and are going as multiple characters eg 7 dwarves. She hasn't been invited to join them.
So she doesn't want to go to school on Friday. This is really unusual- she has had 1 sick day since Sept and no matter how bad her OCD is, she goes to school.
Half of me thinks, oh justbhave the day off to do some piano practice, singing, reading......but then I don't want her to think she can have a day off school for no real reason.
Opinions welcome please.

mumeeee Tue 28-Jun-11 23:06:44

I have never heard of a year 9 student being asked to dress up for book day. But saying this when DD2 was in college aged 16 she did take part in a fancy dress day to raise money for a charity. If your DD is getting really stressed about this I would let her stay home but tell her it's just a one off.

Amaretti Wed 29-Jun-11 14:06:55

Is there no relatively low-key character she can be? Especially one that stands alone, IYSWIM? I'm sure I have seen good ideas on here before, have you done a search?

Amaretti Wed 29-Jun-11 14:08:56

I just have - put "world book day" into the search engine on here, it brings up loads.

I think avoiding stuff because of anxiety tends to backfire and make the anxiety worse, tbh.

quirrelquarrel Fri 01-Jul-11 19:06:45

Do reassure your DD about the English grade- tell her you know she's good at English and that it hasn't changed anything.

startail Fri 01-Jul-11 23:01:39

Y9 having to dress up! my y5 DD2 refused.
She simply went in non uniform and said she was one of the teenagers from the Cathy Cassity(sp) Books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now