Talk

Advanced search

14 yrs girl suddenly sleeping for 12-15 hours a day

(22 Posts)
agent6 Sat 18-Jun-11 14:47:17

My otherwise healthy, sporty, slim, laid back dd is coming home from school and going straight to bed for 3 hours. Need to wake her for tea. Then she soon goes back to bed for her usual 10+ hours at night. Says she's not unhappy or unwell, just terribly tired. She has had a couple of GCSE exams in the last 2 weeks but not particularly phased by exams usually, very bright A grade student, copes with pressure. What am I to think? Ignore it or go to the doc?

alice15 Sat 18-Jun-11 14:49:59

I'd go to the doctor if this has been happening for more than two or three days - maybe she's fighting off an infection or something, but it doesn't sound quite right to me. And I am not a panicker and don't go to the doctor very readily!

exoticfruits Sat 18-Jun-11 14:50:51

I thought you were going to say sleeps to lunch and was going to say completely normal. I would look into it-itmay just be stress.

exoticfruits Sat 18-Jun-11 14:52:20

Sorry-I see you say she copes with pressure. I would definitely check it out-best not to let things slide.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 18-Jun-11 14:52:31

Growth spurt. Leave it a week or so. If it's an infection that may be gone.

Hassled Sat 18-Jun-11 14:55:13

Interesting recent article re teenagers and sleep - the jist of which is that they need lots and lots, and miss out on sleep during the school week. But if this is sudden and unusual and assuming she's not having some major growth spurt, I'd talk to the GP.

herbietea Sat 18-Jun-11 14:56:09

Message withdrawn

loiner45 Sat 18-Jun-11 14:58:03

Get her to the doctor just incase, to inform you but hopefully not worry you too much, one thing that can cause this is type 1 diabetes - a friends daughter was diagnosed at same age with those symptoms. It is more likely to be gcses and general teen tiredness though, but I would check if it were me due to friend's experience.

biglips Sat 18-Jun-11 14:58:04

Ahhhh. I remember them days sleeping for England. nowadays its averages 7 hours :-( but im alot older.

biglips Sat 18-Jun-11 14:59:37

Yeah ill get her checked out thou cos I wasn't tired at all.

Maryz Sat 18-Jun-11 15:01:26

dd has just finished exams and is exhausted. She slept for 16 hours last night, I suspect she will do the same for the next few (exams finished yesterday). She has also been going to bed after some of her exams and getting up after tea for the last two weeks.

When does your dd's term finish? Because if she only has a couple of exams left maybe don't add the stress of a gp visit just now. Wait and see when the exams are over if she gets back to normal.

agent6 Sat 18-Jun-11 15:09:13

thanks for all your speedy replies. Think we will visit the doctor as this is very sudden, she's finished this year's GCSEs as she's only in Y10 so there were only a few early ones this year, most are Y11. She has school until July 22 so still a month or more to go. Really hope it's not another growth spurt - already 5'9" (towers over me at 5'6" -opens whole new problems of discipline) and size 9 feet!! Most shops stop at size 8 - another problem...

Check for Glandular Fever too.. that's how my DD's first presented... the huge swollen glands followed a bit later.. My Dd went from 'doesn't need much sleep' to out cold for an awful lot of the day within a couple of weeks.

Hopefully it's just teen tiredness but best check to be suresmile

exoticfruits Sat 18-Jun-11 17:34:00

I wondered about glandular fever, but you said she wasn't unwell. The glands could be later.I got worried when I phoned DS at university and his housemates said he was in bed asleep at 6pm. I got him to go to the doctor and he was sent home with glandular fever.

sharbie Sat 18-Jun-11 17:35:27

yy to go to doctors and get checked if not sorted in a week or so.

Pagwatch Sat 18-Jun-11 17:35:54

Go to the doctor. It is probably nothing but if it is new and regular then get it seen.

emmanumber3 Sat 18-Jun-11 17:40:55

I remember having glandular fever as a teenager. The tiredness definitely came first, before the swollen glands & disgusting infected throat (I had it pretty badly first time around). I was about 17 & working at the time but would literally be either at work or asleep - no energy to go out or even stay awake for dinner!

The trouble with the blood test for GF is that is has to be done at the correct time in the infection or it will come back negative (or at least that was the case when I had it 18 years ago).

It might be worth asking your GP for an opinion if it carries on just in case - not that GF has any treatment other than time & rest sad.

Fifis25StottieCakes Sat 18-Jun-11 17:42:09

has she had any injections recently at school

agent6 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:39:33

Yes, GF has been on my mind but with no sore throat I was hoping it couldn't be. She hasn't had any injections recently. I can usually get doctor's appointments within a day so will ring on Monday for Tuesday appt, that will be exactly 7 days since she first crashed out so a good point to seek help. Thanks again for all your replies - I didn't want to seem like a fussy mother - and the poss of GF or Diabetes is enough to confirm that I should be gatting this checked out.

sharbie Sat 18-Jun-11 20:43:33

yes def the right thing to do .i was tested neg then positive for gf and i was just tired tired tired not ill at the beginning

Maryz Sat 18-Jun-11 22:22:02

Yes I think you are right to get her checked - I thought you meant a couple of weeks of intensive exams.

dd has just finished 11 state exams in 8 school days shock - the way they do them in Ireland - and is exhausted. I suspect she will sleep 16 hours a day for a week, but I would be worried if she went to bed straight after a normal school day.

Hope she is ok. I had glandular fever as a teen, and I also had hepatitis, which knocked me out for about 6 months shock.

JennHen Tue 28-Jun-11 06:46:11

Ahhhh. Well it might just be tiring school, but as she is normally sporty it may not be unless there has been a dramatic change in her school routine?

Otherwise...I would get her checked out...just in case. Could be anaemia or diabetes? Or another of the things mentioned above smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now