Talk

Advanced search

work for teenagers

(6 Posts)
anniepanniepears Tue 14-Jun-11 20:41:55

Hi my son is sixteen at the end of August he has just recieved his national insurance number,he says that he can work over the school holidays because he has recieved this ,
I thought that you had to be sixteen to be able to work
Does anyone know the rule regarding this
thanks

mumeeee Tue 14-Jun-11 21:30:09

He can work when he has his natinal insurance number although a lot of places still won't take under 16's

tinkgirl Thu 16-Jun-11 20:34:05

he can work when he officially leaves school which is the last friday in june every year. 24th I think this year so the following Monday he can legally start working, paying tax, NI etc

so in the next fortnight tell him to get his CV together, sort out some nice clothes and start asking in local shops etc

Takver Thu 16-Jun-11 21:38:29

You don't have to be 16 to work - you can do 'light work' from age 13, then from age 14 most jobs (with exceptions like building and other dangerous jobs!), but with restrictions on hours.

There's more info on law on the the directgov site. I know a few 15 y/os who have p/t shop jobs.

Sumi1 Sat 18-Jun-11 08:14:36

My daughter is 19. She is a student and trying to find a job which appears to be difficult. She had a few rejections.
What can I do to help her?

webwiz Sat 18-Jun-11 12:07:49

Has she tried going to a temp agency Sumi1? DD1 got a few weeks work that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now