Talk

Advanced search

schools our for year 11s... what is your year 11 going to do with the long summer holidays?

(25 Posts)
slartybartfast Sat 04-Jun-11 09:50:38

any ideas what my ds should do?

Bonsoir Sat 04-Jun-11 09:52:08

My DSS1 (in French equivalent of Y11) is going to do a two week internship in a brokerage in the City and a two week Leadership course for teens in Yorkshire. And then a three-week trip to China.

figroll Sat 04-Jun-11 10:13:09

Bonsoir that sounds very sophisticated. My dd will probably spend her time in bed, on fb, out with her bf, out shopping with her girlfriends, plus a 2 week family holiday in August. She will do a 2 week work experience stint in July, but other than that it's hanging around and getting a suntan!

slartybartfast Sat 04-Jun-11 10:18:13

suntan,
i will suggest that to ds grin

just chillin then.

herbietea Sat 04-Jun-11 10:22:00

Message withdrawn

slartybartfast Sat 04-Jun-11 10:22:50

ds face was a picture when i suggested house work wink

slartybartfast Sat 04-Jun-11 10:23:15

i think job hunting is the answer.

brightermornings Sat 04-Jun-11 10:26:51

mine will be looking for a part-time job. I'll also get him to help out looking after his younger ds (9). No full days just a few half-days. He does his own ironing and will be expected to wash the pots whilst I'm working.

Maryz Sat 04-Jun-11 13:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sat 04-Jun-11 13:09:20

He is mostly sailing in the Caribbean.
I have also organised two weeks of work experience for him.

HighNoon Sat 04-Jun-11 16:52:00

Spending warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a buck toothed girl in Luxembourg ...

rnbsmum Sat 04-Jun-11 17:02:14

Fabulous HighNoon!!!

figroll Sat 04-Jun-11 21:58:47

Wow - what a lot of exciting activities listed here - sailing in the Caribbean - I wonder if he would mind a stow away? My dd is so wrapped up in her boyfriend at the minute, I don't know how I am going to get her away for 2 weeks in August. She keeps asking if the hotel will have wifi and if she can take her laptop. No change there then - looks like it's going to be fb and skype.

desperatelyseekingsnoozes Sat 04-Jun-11 22:30:26

If anyone is going to be a stow away it will be me.

DSS has been sailing for years and is working as part of the crew to pay his way. It is a fantastic opportunity for him though, I am very proud

TeenageWildlife Mon 06-Jun-11 09:31:43

Bonsoir can you tell me about this leadership course please?

Bonsoir Mon 06-Jun-11 09:48:05

TeenageWildlife - I've sent you a private message.

3boys1cat Mon 06-Jun-11 14:11:20

We have arranged and paid for a pool-lifeguarding course for DS1 (in lieu of financial inducements for GCSE grades). Am hoping that he will be able to find work doing this once he has the qualification. 2 week family holiday July-August. Also, by September, he will be one of the best Halo players in the country! grin

Countryhousewife Mon 06-Jun-11 14:20:11

It is an endless summer for them isn't it. My DD is not 16 yet, so cannot get a job, even on a Saturday. Babysitting is the only way of making an income for her that I am aware of at this age. We are faced with fb and the bf too. Any ideas? and how easy is it to get work experience at a newspaper office, does anyone know?

pickledsiblings Mon 06-Jun-11 15:53:06

HighNoon, I thought it was "..to a buxom girl in Luxembourg" grin

HighNoon Tue 07-Jun-11 19:12:20

"Buxom" girl??? Then why was Mozza so miserable and confused about the situation confused .... Oh I see, he wasn't planning on getting married (in church at least) grin

mumslife Tue 07-Jun-11 22:39:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Milliways Tue 07-Jun-11 22:43:07

We are going on holiday early July, then a weeks work experience, helping at a holiday club and hopefully getting extra shifts at work to boost his finances. Will hopefully get a campoing weekend in somewhere.

(DS is 15 and managed to get a job on predicted GCSE results a few months back)

Loshad Tue 07-Jun-11 22:45:18

weeks army leadership camp, 10 days in france with us, week in spain with his pal, volunteer experience with handicapped kids, and hopefully 2-3 weeks paid work with a holiday childcare club.
His exams don't finish until 27 of June though so not much longer summer holiday than normal (little brothers break up 8/7)

florapup Sun 12-Jun-11 07:50:04

My 16 year old DS really wants a summer job but there just doesn't seem to be anyone out there willing to take on a 16 year old boy for the summer - very frustrating!
So, looks like it will just be a summer of sleeping late and playing on his computer !

IdontknowwhyIcare Sun 12-Jun-11 09:51:19

DS 15 (yr10) is doing work exp at House of Commons, then visiting grandparents (we live overseas) then going surfing in Portugal with his friends. Then helping with cub camp and finally camping with friends. No Leeds festival this year to his eternal disapointment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now