Talk

Advanced search

<sigh> clothes shopping with a teenage daughter NEVER AGAIN

(45 Posts)
GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 09:28:57

Yesterday at Bicester village. I am never taking her shopping again.

My dd is someone who worhsips at the altar of Jack Wills, Superdry, Hollister and Abercrombie. So, yesterday I spent LOTS OF TIME in the Jack Wills and Superdry shops there and gritted my teeth and did not scoff at the 30 quid pencil cases and absurdly pretentious slogans on the tops. Oh no.

But when it was my turn to go into shops I had to drag her in all shuffle toed and listen to her curled lipped diatribes on my favourite shops.

My dd's opinions

All Saints - have they banned colour in this shop mum. Everything looks like it has been taken from the bottom of the dogs basket and put through a shrdedder. Plus you are too old for this mum, really.

Guess - this is for gay men. No don't look at the pink t shirts mum they are MINGING

Reiss - you are not Kate Middleton, mum. Bodycon dresses? <looks me up and down>

LK Bennet - oh god how BORING these clothes are. You always said slingbacks are really naff mum, why are you looking at a shiny purple pair? What are you going to wear shiny purple slingbacks with? Your new bodycon dress?

Hobbs - I am not going in there, look at it <she had a point actually>

Le Creuset - <deep, deep resigned sigh of loathing>

French Connection - <suddenly turns into bright and loving daughter> mum look at this top, it is SO nice, it's only £30, can I have it please?

I nearly brained her.

nickschick Wed 01-Jun-11 09:33:58

I know that feeling grin .....shopping with my 2 teen sons is similar .....Ds1 is fab hes v good at choosing 'stuff' and selects great stuff for me smile in fact ds1 could be trusted to buy me an outfit for any occasion- ds2 however tried to persuade dh to buy me an adidas track suit similar to the one ds2 was buying shock (not a good look),I do avoid shopping with them for clothes and let them look in their shops whilst i look in mine and then they fone me when theyve decided what they want me to pay for hmm.

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 09:33:59

We did laugh on the way home when I said she had been a miserable cow.

She said 'oh but mum I was hungry'. She was in a strop because I didn't for out for a crepe for her.

I swear to god this is the toddler years all over again. grin

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 09:36:02

'I didn't pay for a crepe'

Sorry but that made me grin! I live near Bicester Village too and I loathe the place.. and have one teen who loves JW. Thankfully my three others have absolutely no interest in labels and go for the inverse snobbery approach .

I face that dreadful little JW shop a couple of times a year for birthday and Christmas and that's all I can bear.. and I can't quite resist making scathing remarks while DD is picking up pairs of pants at £18 a go etc etc

Mind you I went with a friend recently who threatened to leave me tied outside the Cath Kidson shop if I continued to snort at the twee patterns while she browsed grin

I think the secret it to never go shopping with childrensmilesmile

* can you actually lift Le Creuset pans? I swear I tried but the size I use for my family need a fork lift to get them off the hob!!!!

nickschick Wed 01-Jun-11 09:40:50

a crepe how v cosmopolitan.....im still nagged for KFC or a maccy ds.

PenelopePitstops Wed 01-Jun-11 09:41:48

well she does have a point about all saints!

Marlinspike Wed 01-Jun-11 09:45:48

PMSL at "Everything looks like it has been taken from the bottom of the dogs basket and put through a shrdedder.grin

I feel your pain. The Topshop in our town has a basement shopfloor, and going down those stairs is like descending into Dante's vision of hell....

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 10:04:28

This was the first time I had been to Bicester - it was so manically busy I didn't really enjoy it, however can see it would be wonderful at 10am on a Thursday morning with NO CHILD.

I usually get dragged to Cabot Circus. Urban Outfitters (give me strength) and American Apparel.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 01-Jun-11 13:08:01

Oh my. All this to look forward to. DD, who admitedly is only 10 is allergic to shopping for new clothes or shoes. She often looks like a scarecrow because she just won't look at or try on new things.
I imagine it will all change.

pinkbraces Wed 01-Jun-11 13:17:05

I feel your pain to smile

My 16 yr old DD now understands we shop for me first and she smiles, is helpful and keeps all insulting comments to herself. If I have a successful outcome its then her turn, if she moans, rolls her eyes or does the big sigh thing, then we go smile

It sort of works.

We then finish with a cup of tea and a cake.

Top shop is my idea of a living hell.................

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 01-Jun-11 13:25:25

what a plan pinkbraces! I'm going to remember that one.

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 13:53:41

Ph pinkbraces that is an idea.

I can then be sadistic and go in all manner of awful shops I wouldnever normally go in (Cath Kidston, Jigsaw, Dorthy Perkins, Joules) in order to see if DD would crack under the pressure not to say anything scathing.

Shopping first for me, and then for her.

It's a plan.

MoreBeta Wed 01-Jun-11 14:00:05

Whats wrong with Hobbs?

DW looks great in Hobbs stuff. Bought some L K Bennet shoes too that look good. Really suits a woman in her late 30s and 40s in my view. Reiss, is for women in their 20s.

Le Creusset - is just overpriced. What you need is good old fashioned black cast iron ware at aout 1/3 the price.

<dreads DS1 demanding Superdry. Does a hoodie sweatshirt really cost that much!!!?>

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 14:09:25

I loved the LK Bennett shoes, I think DD made that comment up. LK Bennett was full of gorgeous stuff.

Reiss stuff is lovely but you have to be an inch wide.

I have never got on with Hobbs stuff, am very long waisted and the dresses are cut strangely, and look like I have shrunk the clothes.

Superdry is all right Beta. That is at least sensibly priced. Wait til he starts special pleading for Abecrombie. Hollister is all right though, that is cheap in comparison. Jack Wills is just utterly ridiculously overpriced.

What has cost me more money than anything for dd is all her kit for sport - football boots every 5 minutes, other football kit, rugby shirts, stuff for cricket, hockey sticks. All sorts of kit for Duke of Edinburgh. I begged her not to start playing tennis. grin

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 14:10:24

And I hope your sons are nothing like me brother for insane growth - my brother grew a foot in a year. My mother bought him new shoes and school trousers monthly.

sharbie Wed 01-Jun-11 14:14:10

best way = internet shopping or send em to town with cash

YouDidWhat Wed 01-Jun-11 14:29:37

<17 year-old girl here>. I think your DD is wrong - you have brilliant taste in clothes shops grin. I have to admit that I worship at the altar of All Saints and Reiss because I much prefer the cut of the clothes (5'7" and size 6) and they're much higher quality than the trash clothes from Hollister et al.

Jack Wills and Hollister tend to give me the rage. Mainly because a lot of the girls at school who wear it all talk about surfing and how they're 'going to learn', but then bitch about what the salt water will do to their hair. I'm a slightly insane regular surfer - four times a week, every week (including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day). It's all overpriced tat that doesn't last more than a few washes and then gets a really weird shape.

Just wait until your DD is buying all of her own clothes and then she'll realise what constitutes a decent clothes shop wink.
(I do like Topshop quite a lot though blush)

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 14:37:38

Oh you sound lovely youdid. My dd is only 15 so I am sure she will come out the other side and the Hollister obsession will be over.

I grew up bear a surfing area (Woolacombe/Saunton/Croyde) and you could instantly tell the dedicated surfers apart from those who only went twice a year on a sunny day. The dedicated surfers had the better hair grin

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 01-Jun-11 14:48:15

Oh mum is just like that! She is 65. She drags me round M&S and bloody Per Una which she insists on calling per uno even though I keep telling her it's wrong. Drives me batty.
Then when I wanted to go out shopping for some new clothes last week she moaned and complained about the shops we went in because nothing would suit her in them. When I hold up someting I quite fancy she always, always says that it wouldnt look good on her... confused I'm not buying for you mother! I'm buying for me!

Anyway rant over.

MoreBeta Wed 01-Jun-11 15:43:32

I'd forgotten about sports stuff and Duke of Edinburgh.

I feel like it might just easier giving all our money to the DSs and asking for a bit of pocket money back.

GetOrf Wed 01-Jun-11 16:11:44

The expense of teens is quite phenomenal. I don't think I help myself though. I think twice before booking a weekend in a smart hotel for me and DP, however is DD pipes up 'mum can I go on the school skitrip' I say yes without a second thought hmm

crazynanna Wed 01-Jun-11 16:22:37

My girl is twelve,and so we begin the horror that is Teen shopping!

We are at the stage where she runs into a shop like a 100m sprinter,quickly followed by a confused security guard,and me limping behind shouting to the security guard "It's alright....she's looking for Paul's Boutique and she's 12!"

Oh the good life grin

Watertight Wed 01-Jun-11 22:21:15

I really enjoy going shopping with either of my girls (17 and 15) but not both at the same time...Now that really IS the very worst possible shopping experience...

"NO! You CAN'T have that cardigan - it's too much like my Top Shop one! MUUUUMMMMM! Tell her!"

"It's nothing LIKE your Top Shop one! It's not even the same colour! MUUUMMMMM! Tell her!"

BerniW Mon 06-Jun-11 18:20:47

Have been sucked into the Superdry obsession by my boys.

I wouldn't mind but I thought they were from Japan not some industrial estate just outside Cheltenham!

Oh well - best to buy Bristish........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now