Talk

Advanced search

Mentoring West Yorks/North Yorks

(8 Posts)
Merle Fri 13-May-11 10:01:11

Hi,

one of my son's friends is in need of some support. He is 12, but in some ways acts older.

I have tried to find something but it seems that anything on offer is linked to education or the criminal justice system.

Does anyone know of any schemes which operate in our area?

Thanks.

Merle Sun 15-May-11 12:36:06

so nothing, then?

quirrelquarrel Wed 18-May-11 13:19:42

What about Lime Trees?

Your post is sort of vague- is it mental health support? Does he feel left out for acting older?

overthehill Sat 21-May-11 01:02:21

There is The Island, a mentoring scheme for 8-13 year olds in York. Would that be appropriate?

BusyBodd Sat 21-May-11 22:54:13

The county youth service? A local youth club? or, depends on your view, a local church youth worker? (I am one, but with a secular youth work degree and other qualifications, and I sometimes mentor young people with no religious strings attached)

Merle Sat 04-Jun-11 22:41:48

Hi, thanks for the replies. Have just re-found them.

The Island sounds ideal, but we are about
1 1/2 hours from York. He needs a dad, really - someone to mentor and show an interest and discipline. Sorry to be vague, I think he was referred to CAMHS but I don't know what the outcome was.
I posted this when I was exasperated with him as he gets into a lot of arguments at our local park and he needs someone to take him under their wing and give him some guidance.

Will research Lime Trees.

JasHands Sun 05-Jun-11 10:02:41

I know someone who volunteered with Youth at Risk, who were then working in West Yorkshire. Think they do change their project locations, but you could find out if anything is on or about to start in your area.

flow4 Sun 12-Jun-11 13:44:21

Maybe Northorpe Hall trust in Mirfield? Google them. They're an excellent independent charity with a range of services for young people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now