Talk

Advanced search

Would you let your 16 year old daughter have a moped?

(71 Posts)
GetOrfMoiLand Tue 01-Mar-11 19:52:13

DD is 16 in December and would like a moped for her birthday present.

DP is a biker and she loves riding on the back.

My initial thought is to shriek 'over my dead body'. We live in a city centre and I have visions of her being run over by juggernaughts.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 01-Mar-11 19:57:13

Oh, and if your teenager has a moped which one would you recommend (in case I decide yes)

VivaLeBeaver Tue 01-Mar-11 19:59:15

Not a chance. I used to ride a small motorbike at this age, like a 125cc Honda. Not in this country though so nowhere near as much traffic. I still managed to drop it on a bend once when I skidded on some sand. I think in this country I'd be more worried about cars, etc hitting her. There is no protection. I've seen the damage that's done to cars/metal in a low speed accident and the hole in the car was terrible. But that could be a moped rider's leg, chest.

DrSeuss Tue 01-Mar-11 20:00:51

No chance!

DerangedSibyl Tue 01-Mar-11 20:01:37

Not in a city, simply because most car drivers are driving around with their head up their arses. the amount of time I've nearly been run over and I get a wail of "I didn't see you!" from a rolled down window of a silver ford focus....

not that country divers are better but the roads are less busy and public transport is shit.

muddyangels123 Tue 01-Mar-11 20:06:41

My DS1 got his moped at 16. He's 19 now.
The CBT test is good & will let you know if they can ride/handle the bike ( if they don't pass they can't have a bike - simple) My DS1 started with a Yamaha 50cc.
At the time he was doing 30 miles a day to 6th form.

strongblackcoffee Tue 01-Mar-11 20:07:02

No! Sorry...

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Mar-11 20:10:22

I'm inclined to say, "Let her have one". I'll put my hands up and admit I'm an ex-biker, perhaps miraculously never had an accident. I bought DS2 a 50cc (restricted to about 30mph, btw) "moped" (it looked like a moto-crosser, your DD may prefer a scooter type?) for his 16th and it passed on to his brother when he turned 16. We do live rurally, and tbh my greatest fear was when they were out on the fast A roads round here (it's not all back country lanes) so I always reminded them to maintain their road position and not let themselves get blasted into the verges.

They're both still fine.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Mar-11 20:11:01

Aaargh, I bought DS1 the moped; only have 2 DSs!

risingstar Tue 01-Mar-11 20:11:43

i honestly would not- but i work for a compensation provider and see the results of teenagers side swiped by cars that then drive off so i might not have a balanced view.

muddyangels123 Tue 01-Mar-11 20:12:11

This was in the country, up & down dale. The tractors on the road are the worst.
I think it's all down to where you are and how sensible your Dc is.

CMOTdibbler Tue 01-Mar-11 20:12:50

Yes, I would. I think it teaches you a lot of road skills.

But I would require her to go on proper lessons first (not just cbt) and wear proper clothing at all times

SoupDragon Tue 01-Mar-11 20:15:01

No way. Never ever ever.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 01-Mar-11 20:15:41

That's what worries me - the risks of accidents. She is a sensible girl but the roads are very busy round here. Mind you bikes put the fear of god in me.

DP is more sanguine about it as he has had a bike since 16, and will take her out and teach her the ropes before letting her loose.

Mopeds are very common round here - there has got to be about 20 kids in Year 11 who have one.

I am on the fence with this one.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 01-Mar-11 20:16:57

Well, I vere from 'oh ok I will think about it' and then I read comments about the amount of teenagers involved in accidents and then think 'no way josé'

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Mar-11 20:18:18

If a lot of people have them, drivers will be more aware of the/related to them; herd safety?

DerangedSibyl Tue 01-Mar-11 20:33:10

Until people who drive cars are required to KNOW how far away they should be from a moped when they overtake it (clue - I should not be able to kick you fucking door with my steel toecapped boots, and you should KNOW that you were too far away to have possibly hit me) - then there is no such thing as 'herd safety'

The problem is not the moped. The problem is the fuckwits in cars who forget that they are barreling along at 80 miles an hour in a killing machine, NOT sitting behind their desk having a chat to a colleague.

<<bitterbiker.com>>

kingprawntikka Tue 01-Mar-11 20:37:21

No, not while she was still young enough for me to have a say.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Mar-11 20:57:45

DerangedSibyl, I completely see your point; but the DD won't be exposed to traffic at 80mph, she's in a city centre.

DerangedSibyl Tue 01-Mar-11 21:30:53

...so she'll be exposed to tired and frustrated commuters taking car phone calls from colleagues, bosses, and nannies, she'll be shielded from sight by the other road users, and pedestrians will step out in front of her, lorries will try to edge up her left hand side every time she tries to turn right, because heaven fobid there could be a gap that someone can't fit through if only the silly bitch on the scooter would move her damn knee....

Trust me, i rode a moped for 5 years, both in the country, where I live, and in the city, where I worked. The country is safer.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Mar-11 21:36:23

I can only bow to your experience Sibyl; I started riding in a city but I had a 100cc bike and was in my late 20's, so significantly different to the OP's DD.

Do you think the acceleration/top speed available to 100cc+ bikes makes a difference? I really did worry about the speed restriction (to 30mph, though they were riding mostly on 60mph roads) when my lads were out and about.

Maybe OP's daughter should put it off a year and get a 125?

(Personally, I'd make almost everyone (physically unable excluded) do a year on a 50cc bike before they could apply for any other license so they'd have a bit more respect.)

LessNarkyPuffin Tue 01-Mar-11 21:40:16

How about a car at 17?

Loshad Tue 01-Mar-11 21:43:13

no, had a bike after uni and had a really bad fall off it, due to a sh*t driver pulling out in front of me. Taught a lovely Y13 lad last year, 4 weeks before his A2 levels he fell off his bike - 6 months in hospital, missed his exams, know another etc etc
My kids all know they have to have left home before they can have a bike/moped.

LittleWhiteWolf Tue 01-Mar-11 21:44:06

Have just asked DH whether he would buy our DD a moped (in 14 years when she's 16!) and he said definitely. He himself has been hit by a car who drove out of a side street and shoved him into the path of a bus. DH avoided the bus and, as he tells it, went down the next side street, got off the bike and passed out for a bit, came to and went to work (they made him go to hospital). The neither the driver nor the bus driver stopped, I guess because they saw him carry on riding (not that he had a choice!).
But despite that and other near misses he says he would be keen for her to ride, especially, he says, if she'd been riding pillion for ages, like in the case of your DD GerOrf. I would also be happy for her to have a moped, largely because I trust DH's bike sense and he would find her something hardy and safe.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 01-Mar-11 21:49:39

LessNarkyPuffin, the problem with a car at 17 is that instead of simply wiping yourself out if you make a poor decision, you can take as many of four of your mates with you. And maybe other people too. Moped riders rarely damage anyone but themselves, but are frequently damaged by others.

(Oh, god, we're coming up to the killing season again round here; May/June the roads are littered with upturned cars driven by youngsters, I hate it!)

Sorry, personal freakout there. Downside of country living is so many teens with cars.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: