Talk

Advanced search

Should I buy my teenage son deodorant/body spray?

(24 Posts)
Charlene70 Tue 11-Jan-11 16:30:27

Hi everyone,
This is my first post here and I'd just like to say that I've found the site very helpful in the past, so thanks very much.

I was wondering whether everyone else bought there teenage kids deodorant? Or rather your kids bought it for themselves?

I don't know if I should be asking my boy to be buying that kind of thing for himself or I should pop it in the weekly shop?

And which one is a good one to buy?

Thanks,
Charlene

Batteryhuman Tue 11-Jan-11 16:33:06

Mine get a load of the vile but much desired Lynx in their Christmas stockings (along with socks and pants as i know they won't spend their allowances on them until they are in rags). When they run out I do usually bung some in the supermarket shop but then I buy rightguard or whatever is on special offer and doesn't reek!

AMumInScotland Tue 11-Jan-11 16:33:51

I buy it for DS as part of the normal shopping, like I've always bought toothpaste, soap, shampoo etc. I don't think its any different really, as its a necessity! He has one of the Original Source ones, but they only seem to do them in big Boots now so it wasn't a good choice! Easier go for whatever your local supermarket stocks, which will probably be 18 different varieties of Lynx...

maryz Tue 11-Jan-11 16:35:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 11-Jan-11 16:36:13

Yup, Lynx is the smell of choice for teenage boys. But is he ready for it? They often go through a very stinky period before the Lynx years set in, and there's not much that'll make any difference during that time.

TrillianAstra Tue 11-Jan-11 16:38:13

Antiperspirant

Not body spray.

Not stuff to squirt everywhere nad make people choke.

Stuff that you put under your arms and it stops the sweat.

Teach him the difference - future generations will thank you for it.

Gilette is what DP uses.

PlentyOfParsnips Tue 11-Jan-11 16:41:29

I get it in the supermarket shop, that way I can pretend they've 'run out' of Lynx wink

DP uses rightguard and doesn't smell either of BO or eye-watering chemicals.

usualsuspect Tue 11-Jan-11 16:42:53

I buy it when I go shopping ...ds nicks dps when he has run out anyway

ShatnersBassoon Tue 11-Jan-11 16:49:07

Yes, buy him some antiperspirant. Most teenage boys see it as an optional extra, so won't spend their own money on it.

BitOfFun Tue 11-Jan-11 16:52:35

I think that anti-perspirant is a basic toiletry really, so unless you expect your son to buy his own toothpaste and toilet roll, you should be getting it with the main groceries. If he wants to wear aftershave/eau de toilette etc, I'm sure he will get some at Christmases/birthdays or can buy it himself.

2shoes Tue 11-Jan-11 16:54:02

IO buy it for ds if he asks(he is 18) when he was younger I did it without him asking.

BeenBeta Tue 11-Jan-11 16:56:00

DS1 age 10 was given a can of unperfumed Sure for Men. It works and it doesnt stink the house out.

TrillianAstra Tue 11-Jan-11 16:57:00

I agree with BoF - this is a necessity not a luxury toiletry.

Supermarkets often have 2 for 1.

Ormirian Tue 11-Jan-11 16:58:47

Weekly shop but only fairly basic stuff.

scurryfunge Tue 11-Jan-11 16:59:02

I buy DS supermarket antiperspirant and he buys the fancy stuff himself if he wants it. If your DS is wearing clean clothes every day and showering every day, then he doesn't need an overload of smellies.

upahill Tue 11-Jan-11 17:01:24

Dh normally buys a few bottles of Mitchem when he does the 'big' shop and they are there for everyone. He will buy DS the shower gels he likes such as Original Source.

mathanxiety Tue 11-Jan-11 17:06:53

I get toiletries with the groceries. My teenagers buy their own clothes to a large extent and only spend whatever they earn as I don't give pocket money.

cat64 Tue 11-Jan-11 23:19:29

Message withdrawn

DandyDan Wed 12-Jan-11 09:04:06

You want an anti-perspirant which is also a deoderant - not all products do both. And definitely not a 'bodyspray'. Bought as part of the regular shopping.

MayorNaze Wed 12-Jan-11 09:08:39

yes

but it is bog standard, anything expensive he has to buy himself, ditto hairgel

i also bought him facewash and moisturiser <ponce> but again, basci medicated teen stuff

GnomeDePlume Wed 12-Jan-11 09:25:12

Here the toiletries are bought by the management including deoderant sprays, skincare etc.

alypaly Wed 12-Jan-11 09:27:35

my son likes antiperspirant with deodorant and likes adidias and sure sport.

definitely get the antiperspirant as a deodorant only masks the smell.

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Jan-11 09:29:23

Surprised you've got to the teens without it - my ds was a stink-fest a primary school.

We went and chose together to start with.

Tried to encourage roll-ons (to avoid gassing the neighbourhood) but he likes Lynx too.

Now he writes it on the shopping list himself.

He now has so many money-making scams going on (age 14) I think he ought to buy his own!

HSMM Wed 12-Jan-11 09:35:33

DD has used mine up til now, but wanted to go and choose her own when she came shopping with me (something brightly coloured with a fancy name). She can use mine again when she runs out, unless she gets it herself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: