Talk

Advanced search

good books for teens?

(15 Posts)
veryberry21 Mon 27-Dec-10 20:08:20

3 ds aged 16, 16 and 14.
1 dd aged 12.
Was thinking of getting my Dd the book You Against Me... http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8720917-you-aga inst-me
She says she wanted it.
she also asked for Boys Don't Cry, by Malorie Blackman who i know is an amazing writer...http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/823943 8-boys-don-t-cry
and ds3 wants to read Gone by Michael Grant after a friend recommended it
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2536134.Gone
What do you think?
Any books your dc have read and love?

color Mon 27-Dec-10 21:46:34

bump

stleger Mon 27-Dec-10 22:05:20

My dd1 who is 17 liked The Book Thief and Interpretation of Murder. Ds read all the James Bond books in his mid teens, and Santa brought him Agent Zigzag this year. (He is 19).

MrsColumbo Mon 27-Dec-10 22:11:40

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff, Malorie Blackman novels, The Book Thief by Marcus Suzak(?). Depends what they like, really, but what about Lord of the Rings, something by Christopher Paolini or Neil Gaiman: boys often like graphic novels (slight understatement!) - Maus by Art Speigelman is a really original take on the Holocaust.
My own DS1 isn't really much of a reader of novels and didn't really go beyond the Alex Ryder books, but loves non-fiction, especially pop psychology such as Elephants on Acid.

maryz Tue 28-Dec-10 00:04:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snowedinthesticks Tue 28-Dec-10 15:01:01

DS1 not keen on fiction but DS2 (12) reads a lot. He loved the Micheal Gant books, I think Gone was the first of 3 or 4. Says it's a cross between Heroes and Survivors.

He's also read all of Malorie Blackman's books. I thinl they do Noughts and Crosses at school in Year 9 and because of the fact that I knew it was going to be a set book at school I didn't question him reading it. However I learned later that there may be some content unsuitable for a 12 year old.

He also likes William Nicholson, and Robert Muchamore but I wonder whether all of these would be too young for 16 year olds.

fedup4 Thu 06-Jan-11 14:30:06

My son can be a very reluctant reader but I bought him one recently that he just couldn't put down - he read it in 2 days - it is Nicholas Dane by Melvin Burgess. I understand it is quite a gritty read and deals with some v.sensitive issues - it is about a boy who lived in a care home during the 1980's.

He also liked Trainspotting which I was reluctant to get him at first. Up until last year he had read all the Cherub books by Robert Muchamore and again, couldn't put them down.

I bought him Boys Don't Cry for Christmas and another book called Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy which is aimed at older teenagers. I have read this myself and it is an absolutely brilliant read - you can see all the reviews on Amazon. It is about a girl who has to take on a new identity after committing a terrible crime when she was around 10/11.

3boys1cat Fri 07-Jan-11 14:43:10

My 15 yo DS is currently reading the last in the Twilight series. He has also very much enjoyed Gone and sequels by Michael Grant, Cherub books, the Medusa Project series by Sophie Mackenzie, Slam by Nick Hornby, The Enemy and sequel by Charlie Higson, everything by Kevin Brooks. I tend to pick up a fairly random selection from the Libary and tell him to read two chapters of a book; if he doesn't want to know what happended next, he can give up on the book and try another one!

veryberry21 Fri 07-Jan-11 19:15:01

yeah, my son and daighter both read Blood Ties by Sophie Mackenzie and enjoyed it.

TeenageWildlife Sat 08-Jan-11 14:09:24

I second a lot of the books that have been mentioned - and want to add an author that my 16 yo DS is loving and you may not have thought of - Hunter S Thompson

BelligerentGhoul Sat 08-Jan-11 14:22:57

My 15 year old dd is currently reading the shite that is the Stieg Larson trilogy plus 1984. She also loved The Book Thief, The Time Traveller's Wife and various classics.

ednurse Sat 08-Jan-11 14:24:16

Me and my sister loved:
Diary of a Chav series (v funny)
Princess Diaries
Angus, Thongs....series

veryberry21 Sun 09-Jan-11 21:57:16

Watched Angus thons and perfect snogging today with dc it was a load of shite but i couldn't help laughing i think she would be up for that sort of thing. DS likes Hunter S. Thompson books and i think he's just finished reading on that had somthing in the title to do with angels.

stressedHEmum Tue 11-Jan-11 09:37:41

The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix: The Hunger Games; Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy (you get much more from this when you are a little older); the Belgariad by David Eddings; The Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson; The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Johnathon Stroud; The Medusa Project: The Ranger's Apprentice; The Wedding Planner's Daughter (foolish girly book); The Power of 5 series; The Farseer Trilogy and others by Robin Hobb; The Riftwar books by Raymond Feist; the High Lord series by Trudy Canavan; Alex Rider by ANthony Horowitz; 1984 and Animal Farm; To Kill A Mockingbird; Catcher in the Rye; things like Dracula, The Invisible Man and Dorian Grey; The Dragon Rider of Pern books by Anne MacCaffrey. All my boys, except the youngest (8), have always been avid readers, particularly of fantasy type novels, I'll have another think and see what else I can come up with.

11 year old DD loves Roman Mysteries and Skulduggery Pleasant.

stressedHEmum Tue 11-Jan-11 19:22:18

Also books by Robin Jarvis, Kevin Crossley- Holland, Ursula Le Guin: The Dark is Rising cycle by Susan Cooper; The Edge Chronicles; Mortal Engines series by Philip Reeve; Tales of Redwood by Brian Jacques; Jango books by William Nicholson; Warriors of Alavna etc. N.M. Browne; Philip Pullman's Sally Lockhart novels; the Stavaganza books by Mary Hoffmann

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: