Talk

Advanced search

Not quite a teenager yet but parents of teenagers tell me about first bras!

(13 Posts)
nymphadora Sun 12-Dec-10 20:38:31

Dd1 is just about ready for a bra ( I think) how do you know for sure? She wears crop tops at the moment.

There is a local shop that sells nice bras & they do a teenage range so I can get her measured there too but is there anywhere else that sells nice ones?

webwiz Sun 12-Dec-10 21:00:10

Marks and Spencer sell the Angel range of teen bras and they'll measure your DD as well.

nymphadora Sun 12-Dec-10 21:54:56

Thanks.-am going there tomorrowfor me so will have a quick look

maryz Sun 12-Dec-10 23:55:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nymphadora Mon 13-Dec-10 07:55:45

Don't know how many of her friends have them yet. She won't like it though as she is in total denial about puberty

HowsTheSerenity Mon 13-Dec-10 08:34:23

Now I would avoid M&S. Most bra fitters there I have found are not specially trained. I would go to one of the bigger department stores or an independent lingerie store and have her fitted there.

MedusaIsHavingABadHairDay Mon 13-Dec-10 20:03:37

Defo get her fitted if she will agree My DDs both refused point blank and spent the first few years in the wrong sized bras...shock It was only when we got to bravissimo only sizes that they agreed to being measured!

Independent lingerie shops are very good..but often don't have much of a range, so might be worth getting measured in one then hit the town for bra shopping?

RatherBeOnTheMulledWine Tue 14-Dec-10 16:48:46

I second the slightly padded ones being good for nipple hiding. I was horrified when I first saw them,cos you wonder why a child going through puberty needs padding, but actually it does a different job!

FrostyAndSlippery Tue 14-Dec-10 16:55:42

I vote for marks too. Definitely get a fitting, it's important to get used to it early IMO.

PlentyOfParsnips Wed 15-Dec-10 21:11:01

Are you absolutely sure she needs one? IMO, they don't need one until they start feeling self-conscious without. If you think she won't like it and none of her friends have one yet, why not let her stay in crop tops a bit longer? If it was me, I'd let her know that you're happy to take her bra shopping whenever she's ready and then wait for her to tell you it's time.

But when it is time, yes - M&S is the best place to go. Don't lay out too much money on posh brands as she's likely to change shape a lot over the next few years.

nymphadora Thu 16-Dec-10 21:43:42

I talked to her about it and a few of her friends have them. She is quite happy to be measured .

LadyLapsang Wed 22-Dec-10 15:40:07

John Lewis are also good for measuring and you could probably buy her some nice ones in the sale.

shongololo Wed 22-Dec-10 15:48:17

another vote for m&s here. Reasonable price, bras you can accept as OK for a very young teen, some variety in colour. Padding is great for uneven development and boobs that are all nipple at that age.

Also, need re-measuring every 6 months.

Despite what the tell you about wanting a black lace bra like everyone else at school...everyone else is generally wearing angel bras.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: