Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for guest's birthday tomorrow?

(8 Posts)
mumblechum Tue 09-Nov-10 11:53:04

We have a Spanish exchange student staying for a week. He'll be 15 tomorrow, so I'm thinking of getting his best friend Jesus and Jesus's host (that sounds weird, I know) round for tapas, birthday cake and Black Ops.

Will that be ok, or should I send them out for ameal together?

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Nov-10 12:04:25

isn't black ops an 18?

i don't think i would let them play that without knowing that his parents are ok with it. you may not mind, but others would

aside from that i think it's a lovely idea!

mumblechum Tue 09-Nov-10 12:12:17

TBH I think most, if not all, of ds's friends have or are getting Black Ops, and ouir guest has Modern Warfare 2 etc. Not really bothered about that.

inthesticks Tue 09-Nov-10 14:54:59

There can't be many 15 year olds on the planet who aren't getting Black Ops today. It sounds like a great idea, although I might have gone for British junk food? I'd get loads of crisps, snacks and cola in as well.

mumblechum Tue 09-Nov-10 17:32:22

Thanks Inthesticks, will add British junk food to shop0ping list! Was just thinking of tapas because 2 of them are Spanish and our lad doesn't seem mad on my cooking blush

mumblechum Thu 11-Nov-10 12:07:19

I don't know why I bothered. Bought our Spanish student an Xbox game - he didn't say thank you.

Did a really nice, huge spread of tapas, pizzas, chicken wings etc etc, plus big choc birthday cake with candles, even learned how to sing Happy Birthday To You in Spanish, hosted 7 boys, not ONE of them said thank you except for my ds.

I moaned to dh about the lack of manners and he was no use, he asked whether I did all that for X's benefit or mine.

Well, good question, actually, but still. hmm

inthesticks Thu 11-Nov-10 15:27:01

How thoughtless of them, I am [shocked].
You must be a bit put out after going to so much trouble.
Was your DS aware that none of them thanked you?

sunnydelight Mon 15-Nov-10 05:28:55

Ungrateful little so and so! I'd be mortified if any of my kids behaved like that. Spanish boys can be seriously indulged at home though - not that that's an excuse. I used to find family accommodation for language students in London and got lots of grumbles about Spanish and Italian boys expecting to be waited on hand and foot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now