Talk

Advanced search

Help me to stop myself from strangling DS...

(18 Posts)
MooMooFarm Mon 08-Nov-10 19:53:26

He is driving me insane tonight. He is enough of a pain in the arse at the best of times, mumbling answers that I can't desipher and generally acting like an unpaying lodger rather than our SON!!!

A few weeks ago he wanted to start using his 'good' trainers for PE at school, because they are 'more comfy' and better for running about, apparently. So despite my reservations, since they were expensive ones, I let him on the proviso that he looked after them. And yes you guessed it, a couple of weeks ago he came home without them, mumbled that they were lost (I think that was what he grunted, anyway), and I have been nagging him ever since to check lost property, ask the teachers, etc, but they have not been found.

Well anyway, today he has come home and said he has lost his entire PE kit. That means a rugby top, polo top, shorts, jogging trousers, socks, all with the school's bloody logo on so they are really sodding expensive.

He has PE tomorrow so I have written a note to the teacher asking him to give DS time to check through lost property for his stuff. If he doesn't come home with it tomorrow I will flip. I can't fecking afford to replace it all, even more so at this time of year, and worst of all, whilst I'm sitting here getting more and more wound up, he doesn't seem to give a shite!!!

Sorry but I needed to offload. Will take deep breaths now!!! He's 13 BTW.

Jenda Mon 08-Nov-10 23:00:23

Oh dear! Im not a mum yet so can't give much advice but didn't want to leave you reeling on your own! I remember doing something similar at his age and although I probably acted like I was cool and didn't give a shite I would have been sick to my stomach. and I bet (hope) once he's had to search through all that lost property he will too!

If he doesn't find it he's going to have to wear non logo cheap stuff until he saves up/ earns the money to replace it. The school surely can't force him to buy their branded uniform if money is tight? and he will have to put up with the embarrassment of looking the of one out. Hope this will be a lesson learned!

Jenda Mon 08-Nov-10 23:00:51

*odd one out ;)

Beamur Mon 08-Nov-10 23:05:02

Deep breaths.
It will get easier.
Most teenage boys (and some girls) go through this inarticulate phase.
I think I would make him contribute though to the cost of replacement - I'm guessing you will have to replace it with the expensive logo'd ones? A little financial pain might help him be more careful with the replacement..
My DSD is hopeless with keys and I have refused to buy another - if he comes back and there's no-one home he has to wait until someone arrives (plus of course, he will not be wearing a warm coat - whatever the weather)
Love him really! He's actually a super lad.
grin

Goingspare Mon 08-Nov-10 23:26:33

I agree that a definite, concrete, preferably financial consequence should follow if he can't find his kit. It would certainly have him hurrying to lost property.

The grunting I think you just have to ride out...

basildonbond Mon 08-Nov-10 23:56:28

ds1 keeps losing things and it drives me mad too (he's also 13)

he came home without his PE kit on Friday but "thought he knew where he'd left it" ... of course, today it's not where he thought it was, surprise, surprise

lost property's not open until Weds but I've told him that if it's not turned up by Friday he will need to replace the entire lot as it's the third (yes, third) kit he's lost in the last 18 months

I dangled the Jack Wills catalogue in front of him this evening while musing on what he could get if he didn't have to spend all his saved-up pocket money on his PE kit ... I'm hoping that will be sufficient inducement ...

cat64 Mon 08-Nov-10 23:57:09

Message withdrawn

Tortington Tue 09-Nov-10 00:12:28

congratulations OP, you just recited the next 4 years of your life

MooMooFarm Tue 09-Nov-10 16:28:12

Hi again - thanks for all the support! I am much calmer now (and may actually make it through the whole evening with no wine!). And shock, horror, DS no.1 came home today, very triumphantly, PE kit in hand! I think totting up how much he would owe me if I had to replace it (£70) helped quite a lot!

But just to be annoying, he said 'funny, I did see my reebok trainers in lost property the other day, but they weren't there today'. The obvious question was why didn't he get them back when he saw them before? But apparently he only saw them 'when he was in a hurry'...

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! Sorry to shout, and yes I know I should be pleased to at least get some of his stuff back....

cat64 Tue 09-Nov-10 16:53:44

Message withdrawn

Beamur Tue 09-Nov-10 21:31:28

Had to smile MooMoo - DSD also came home a few years ago wearing only one of the almost brand new trainers his Mum had just bought. For some reason, it had seemed a good game to throw them up onto some false ceiling at the sports centre and guess what - it got stuck...

cat64 Tue 09-Nov-10 21:38:43

Message withdrawn

MooMooFarm Tue 09-Nov-10 22:00:16

Cat64 - oops! I suppose at least he knows where he lost it confused

cat64 Wed 10-Nov-10 16:54:09

Message withdrawn

nottirednow Wed 10-Nov-10 22:26:44

Message withdrawn

cat64 Wed 10-Nov-10 22:33:46

Message withdrawn

nottirednow Thu 11-Nov-10 08:29:46

Message withdrawn

PinkIceQueen Tue 16-Nov-10 23:50:36

4 P.E. kits in year 7 for ds1, 1 of which was left on a bus, bus company were really helpful. DS has had to pay for everything he has lost for many years, I'd need a second mortgage otherwise, he is very poor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now