Talk

Advanced search

Finding someone's IP address

(16 Posts)
fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 18:25:14

@rslsys brilliant!!

rslsys Tue 02-Apr-19 18:20:15

You're safe with PlusNet - even they don't know where their IP addresses are located half the time :-)

fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 18:08:33

Uk @AnnieOH1
I have Plusnet in the house and O2 mobile. Finding the town or even the road I'm on would mean nothing as it's a local site so everyone posting would be within a fairly small area anyway.

AnnieOH1 Tue 02-Apr-19 18:03:13

Assuming you're not in the US in this, if you haven't clicked any links he has sent you there's is no way he can find IP over Facebook. There are ways to find camera IPs from photos on there but that means nothing.

What internet provider do you use as some have floating IPs?

I would make sure you lock your profile down completely, don't answer any random messages or click any links therein.

If you're in the US then you may have a bigger issue.

Knowing the IP would sometimes allow someone to track you down to a geographic area which in some cases can be pretty accurate to a postcode which may enable someone to rule out other "fivedogstofeed" iyswim.

MidLifeCrisis2017 Tue 02-Apr-19 18:02:59

I actually traced someone's IP address through an email header...the police asked me how I did it then arrested and charged him! It was breach of a restraining order so the town was enough to convince them it was him. They had his PC for a year but didn't have the budget to check his hard drive 🙄.

fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 17:59:13

I haven't responded other than to screenshot his message and post it online for all to see grin

fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 17:57:37

@SlinkyDinkyDoo animal welfare issues....

Smokeahontas Tue 02-Apr-19 17:55:16

Tell him to stop talking such shite

SlinkyDinkyDoo Tue 02-Apr-19 17:52:42

Never mind that (now we know you're safe) how did you upset this (alleged) local gangster?

ErrolTheDragon Tue 02-Apr-19 17:43:58

Unplug your router for half a minute or so, and it will probably reset your IP address. Not that you need to, as PP have said.

If you're really bothered, you can get a vpn - my iPad thinks it's in London, my work PC thinks I'm in Paris, actually I'm elsewhere.

Mustbetimeforachange Tue 02-Apr-19 17:38:16

IP address does not tell someone you physical address. The nearest it night get it the town you are in. Don't worry.

fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 17:30:08

So Gmail is also good if you don't want to be traced?

fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 17:28:24

That's reassuring, thank you!
He's clearly just trying to frighten me.

IWouldPreferNotTo Tue 02-Apr-19 17:22:46

Sorry. Forgot to mention that there's no way he could get your IP address from. Facebook. If you'd emailed him directly and not from Gmail there's a chance your IP could be in the headers but again not very useful

IWouldPreferNotTo Tue 02-Apr-19 17:21:38

An IP addess on its own is next to useless.

When you connect to the Internet you're assigned an IP address by your provider which can change over time and the link to IP address to your account will be stored in a radius server which is private. For mobile its even more useless as many people will share the same IP address.

fivedogstofeed Tue 02-Apr-19 17:15:58

I've seemingly upset a local gangster on a FB lost and found page I'm on and he's private messaged me to say he'll get my IP address and come round.

I've reported to FB who say the message is not a threat. angry

Is it even possible to get someone's IP address ( I mostly use mobile for social media) ?
Is it legal?

Friends have suggested going to the police but I really don't want the hassle.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »