Talk

Advanced search

How easy is it for employer to trace internet history on a remote server

(2 Posts)
Katlow Thu 07-Mar-19 08:30:06

Ive worked for a company for 6 years, and recently I've found myself at a bit of a loose end for things to do. I've tried telling my directors this and tried to see if anyone else needs any assistance but my directors say it annoys them when I ask and no one else needs any help! I literally have NOTHING to do sometimes.
We have an IT company who look after our computers remotely and I was wondering how easy they could see what I've been doing on the web when I'm browsing in incognito mode on Google chrome. I know it is possible, but wondering whether they'd think it was worth it.
I like my job and it's not normally this quiet but I'm so bored at the moment but don't want to get caught browsing mumsnet haha

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 07-Mar-19 08:49:10

It'll go through their server, so very easy, should they have the want to do so. Incognito simply stops the session leaving unnecessary cookies on your machine.

Places have very different attitudes to online browsing. Some set up software to get a report on time spent on different websites, some do manual checks, some don't do anything unless a concern is risen.

What does your internet usage policy say? I'd abide by that as much as possible, and use MN on your phone if you can.

Have you thought about asking if you can do online trainings in the quiet periods? That might give you an idea of his attitude about this type of thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »