Talk

Advanced search

Can 2 sets of power lines work , need for tv AND pc

(8 Posts)
DaturaDream Wed 05-Dec-18 17:06:50

Thanks in advance for any tech advice, I'm piling up loads of things I should do on my pc but I can't connect it to the internet. I've got two sets of power lines (is that the right name? The things that pass the internet through the electrical wiring of the house). One set makes the smart tv work. Then after building work I moved the pc to the attic thinking I could use the second set there but in spite of resetting and re-pairing I can't get them to work.

I've connected one plug of each set to the router and then each into the 2 sockets next to the router. Am I doing something wrong? Here's a pic

Or maybe the two sets of power lines need to all be paired together? They're 2 different makes, is that a problem? TIA for any ideas

WillChellam Wed 05-Dec-18 17:11:32

It'd be helpful to know the exact models of each device, but principally there are two standards. In theory, devices using the same standard should work together, in practice, even using 4 or 5 identical devices can be finickety to set up.

I'd personally look at hard wiring ethernet or using a whole-home wifi setup in order to simplify things significantly.

DaturaDream Wed 05-Dec-18 20:08:56

Thanks for the reply willchellam, it's nice to know it's not just me being thick.

I'll look into your suggestions.

ReflectentMonatomism Wed 05-Dec-18 20:11:19

You can use three, one at the router, one at each location you need equipment. That is what I do. Their being the same brand will help, but shouldn’t be necessary.

DaturaDream Thu 06-Dec-18 17:37:38

Thanks reflectant , I tried that and yes, I can pair the 2 different makes together and I got the pc connected. But that then knocked out the pairing that the tv was working on. Maybe I need to reset and pair both at once? Is there a special knack to doing it?

ReflectentMonatomism Thu 06-Dec-18 17:42:46

Maybe I need to reset and pair both at once?

Dunno. That's where the magic is :-)

disneyspendingmoney Sun 23-Dec-18 11:40:42

don't have multiple piwrrlibes on your ring circuit it's not sheilded so there will be craptonnes of signal bleed and degradation. It's a low bandwidth in an ideal lab setting, so I the home its worse.

My recommendation either swap to a 2 port tp-link so you can run 2 cables out of the power line socket. Or my preferred would be to get a cheap 4 port hub and go power line to hub, hub to TV & pc. it also means you have future expansion to two other ethernet enabled devices

DaturaDream Wed 09-Jan-19 00:23:11

Thanks so much for the detailed reply disneyspendingmoney - I'll definitely follow up on this 4 port hub

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »