Talk

Advanced search

Best way to store photos

(4 Posts)
needyourlovingtouch Mon 06-Aug-18 13:24:31

I take loads of photos both in phone and proper camera. I'm at a loss of the best way to store them to ensure they aren't lost. I know I should print them into photo books but I never seem to have time. Dropbox, snapfish, just on my computer and back up storage disk?

LadyKalila Wed 23-Jan-19 12:04:37

Back up to an external hard drive. I back mine up to two hard drives just to be sure.

PassingWind Tue 29-Jan-19 12:14:55

Google Photos.

Download Google photos and allow access to photos, select save all unlimited.

SpoonBlender Tue 29-Jan-19 12:37:29

I'm Apple flavoured, and I pay for the extra iCloud storage space (same applies for android and Google Photos space - that starts downgrading your image quality when you go over a certain amount, but keeps backing them up). That's the first line. £3/month.

I sync them to three different Macs via iCloud Photos.

I backup the Macs to a NAS in the cellar.

I also backup my desktop Mac to a cloud service, Backblaze (£5/month)

I backup the NAS to another NAS.

That's probably overkill smile But you do want to have anything digital you want to keep in at least three independent places. Synced via your phone's cloud to a desktop only really counts as one place as any deletions will also be synced. But it's a lot easier to backup a desktop, so well worth it.

Dropbox on the phone will have an option "backup all your photos" - that's a good plan, but can get expensive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »