Talk

Advanced search

Would I always know if a sender put a read receipt on an email?

(5 Posts)
another20 Mon 21-May-18 16:08:34

I have avoided opening an email from someone for a while. I had blocked them on other communications but didn’t know how to on my email. I have since opened and deleted it - would it have displayed a read receipt notice to me if it had one set?

MissConductUS Mon 21-May-18 16:51:50

Probably not. Marketing emails contain a hidden link that executes when the email is opened. That's how they track what's called the "open rate".

Regular personal emails from a gmail or yahoo account or similar don't do this.

another20 Mon 21-May-18 17:01:43

Thanks - it was from a regular personal account - I am assuming then that, as I, as the recipient didn’t have to accept/click to on a read receipt notification - it would not have alerted the sender that I had opened it.

MissConductUS Mon 21-May-18 19:13:50

Correct. If you send someone an email from a regular personal email account you have no way of knowing if it's been opened or binned. It's the same for the sender of the email you're concerned about.

nothingwittyhere Mon 21-May-18 19:16:57

Unless you've changed your default setting to always allow read receipts. Which you probably haven't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: