Talk

Advanced search

Build you own PC

(6 Posts)
PippiLongstromp Thu 09-Nov-17 12:54:04

Has anyone tried this? Seems like you get more for your money this way, but not sure whether what you get is just as good as a Dell/other established brand?

CMOTDibbler Thu 09-Nov-17 13:07:34

It's pretty easy (I've built a few), and it used to be a lot cheaper but now I think its really only worth it if you want a higher spec PC or if you want things that you can't configure on Dell.

PippiLongstromp Thu 09-Nov-17 13:29:39

Thank you cmotdibbler!
I want a fast computer which can cope with several applications open at the same time. I also want to work with photos on it and possibly some 3D design applications. For that I think I need quite a lot of storage and memory.
Are the parts used in the build your own as good as in the Dell etc do you know?

CMOTDibbler Thu 09-Nov-17 13:39:24

It depends - you have the freedom to buy cheap components or really good ones. TBH, it sounds like your needs aren't particularly high, so go with a Dell and upgrade the graphics card and RAM - these are standard configuration options on their website

WaxOnFeckOff Thu 09-Nov-17 13:46:16

yes, I got involved when my teenager wanted a gaming PC so we bought all the parts and built it, he's upgraded it a couple of times since and built his brother one too. It's not hard but do be prepared for issues that need to be resolved. You can get exactly what you need though and once you know what to do, you can keep it up to date.

I'd look at an i7 cpu if you are using it for modelling etc. PCpartpicker is a good website to help you build parts and get things that are compatable. Tom's hardware is a good site for getting questions answered etc.

Parts can cost as much as you want, just go for the quality names and look for reviews etc.

PippiLongstromp Thu 09-Nov-17 19:06:29

This is great information both of you thank you so much! Will investigate the build your own links and see if I think I can do it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now