Talk

Advanced search

For the love of god help me, I dropped my iphone 6 in the loo and now the screens gone wierd. I think I'm actually going to cry.

(29 Posts)
MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 08:45:15

It looked fine when I put it in the airing cupboard last night. Screen still on and everything. Turned it off fine. Took it out of the cupboard this morning, it was really warm so I thought it must have dried out, went to turn it on and the screen didn't work, there was just this faded greyish tinge down one side.

I've fucked it haven't I? I cannot afford to replace it. Insurance won't cover it, will it?

Can I get it repaired?

I actually want to cry. My life is on that phone. It's all backed up and everything but I've only had it a couple of months. Fucking hell.

Delilahfandango Fri 09-Jan-15 08:47:33

Are you not supposed to put it a load of rice (uncooked obviously!) and leave for ages?

Jinglebellsarenearlyhere Fri 09-Jan-15 08:47:52

Insurance may cover it, mine did. Also you can get the screen changed. The most effective thing I've done with a wet phone. ( I do this quite a bit)!was get Apple to sort it - they will give you a quote. It cost me £170 to get new innards. Cheaper than new phone.

Delilahfandango Fri 09-Jan-15 08:48:13

In a load of rice...

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 09-Jan-15 08:50:05

You are supposed to put it in rice, in the airing cupboard if you have one, the warmest place you can if not, and leave it for at least 48 hours.

You probably have fucked it turning it on so soon. Sorry. Nothing that can't be fixed though.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 08:50:50

Apparently the rice thing is a myth.

Dh is going to kill me.

What about these rescue packs? Dries the phone right out or something?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 08:51:13

Can it be fixed?

BertieBotts Fri 09-Jan-15 08:51:33

It's only been a few hours, stop turning it on. Put it back in the rice and leave it for a week. Then try turning it on. Hope that you didn't cause damage by turning it on while it was still wet inside (likely).

Insurance covers if you have accidental damage cover.

highlighta Fri 09-Jan-15 08:51:45

Take the sim and the battery out and put them all in dry rice. Don't be tempted to take it out and try it for at least a few days....

I don't see why the insurance wont cover it? It is water damaged.

(i have a Samsung s3 mini that was washed in the machine for a full cycle. I put it in rice for a week and now i am using it daily and apart from the battery draining faster than it used to, it is perfectly fine. It wasn't insured, otherwise i would have claimed for it).

BertieBotts Fri 09-Jan-15 08:52:13

Rice draws out moisture so it works as well as the rescue packs, though they are worth a try too.

helgaw99 Fri 09-Jan-15 08:55:05

I dropped mine down the loo recently. Turned it straight off then stuck it in a bowl of rice for three days. Then charged it and it worked fine. A miracle I think!

Think by turning it back on so soon you might have have damaged it beyond repair though. Apple replaced my previous I phone 5 for £200 when I put it in the washing machine. There was no saving that one!

Sorry about your phone.

Moodykat Fri 09-Jan-15 08:55:54

I dropped my iPhone down the toilet and left it in a box of rice, in the airing cupboard, for a week. I turned mine on after a day and the screen was weird too but I stuck it back in the rice and after a week I was AMAZED when I put it on charge and it pinged back into life!
Try it!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 08:56:24

Oh shit.

Why the fuck did I turn it on?

BertieBotts Fri 09-Jan-15 09:03:37

confused I don't know. I don't know why folk expect stuff to magically dry inside overnight when it's a tiny enclosed thing with no air flow, if you leave washing all bunched up it takes about a week to dry (if it doesn't go mouldy), why would a phone be any different?

The damage happens when stuff short circuits so as long as there's no power to it and it dries out completely, nothing gets eroded and there is no water under the screen, there's no reason why it shouldn't recover. But people get impatient and want to turn it on to check.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 09:18:24

That's exactly it, you are spot on, I was impatient to see if it was ok. Which it was when I fished it out! The screen was fine and it turned off fine, I thought it would be fine!

It felt so warm though. Our airing cupboard is really warm and I thought it must have dried out by now, it's been in there all night.

I'm going to phone Apple and see if they can help.

Hurr1cane Fri 09-Jan-15 09:27:10

There are people out there who can fix water damaged apple products as well. We had a water damaged ipad and they fixed that.

BikeRunSki Fri 09-Jan-15 09:29:51

Rice does work.

QueenofallIsee Fri 09-Jan-15 09:30:17

insurance covered mine when I did that OP, worth checking

TheFairyCaravan Fri 09-Jan-15 09:32:03

DS1 put his iPhone 5 through the washing machine (full cycle). He didn't have any rice, so left it in a warm place for a week, it works fine now. I'd at least try the rice for a couple of days before I paid money getting it fixed.

ChippyTuesday Fri 09-Jan-15 09:40:27

I did the same to my galaxy s4 on Tuesday, however mine is fucked sad but that's because it's the second time it's happened (first was when DS2 decided to flush it away during his toilet phase). the first time I not only turned it on, but stupidly tried to charge it. I left it for a week, and only tried to turn it on before I threw it in the bin, and it's worked fine since ( well until this week!) Don't fret just yet wine

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 09:45:07

I am fretting! I'm one of life's natural fretters. grin

I am feeling slightly more optimistic now though.

I've just been through my house insurance policy and I am covered for accidental damage and I can't find a mention of mobile phones anywhere. It doesn't say that they're covered or more specifically that they're not covered by anything in particular. Should I ring them? Trouble is once I've told them I can't wriggle out of it. I'm with Legal & General.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Jan-15 09:57:13

Well you can't pretend it's something else smile Phone them up and ask if mobile phones are covered under personal items.

HeeHiles Fri 09-Jan-15 10:04:03

Silica Gel? Draws the moisture better than rice.

ChasedByBees Fri 09-Jan-15 10:06:28

They're not usually covered on home insurance as standard but you could call and check.

Apple replace handsets for much less than the RRP. My iPhone 4 was a bit dodgy and I was quoted £140 to replace with a new handset when a new phone RRP was about £500.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 09-Jan-15 10:08:30

Well the lady at Apple said I have completely killed the phone. And it's not repairable. Fuck.

I guess I'd better try the house insurance.

If they won't cover it what do I do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now