Talk

Advanced search

Considering second tattoo years after first one triggered freakout

(4 Posts)
MissKrampus Sat 10-Feb-18 13:17:58

I got my first tattoo many years ago. I thought about it for a good 6 months, decided what I wanted and got it. It is on my lower back so I don't see it unless I'm looking in a mirror. Anyway, about a week after I got the tat I had the most almighty freakout. Just woke up one morning thinking WTF have I done? It triggered thoughts of death for me - that I was going to have this thing on my back until I die. It was horrible. I then spent a lot of time researching removal. I decided I wanted it gone by the time I was 40.

Anyway this lasted for about a year. I didn't get it removed and I now like the tattoo. So it's been many years and I'm now thinking about getting another (smaller) one. I know what I want and I'm wanting it for a specific reason. But I'm wondering if the same will happen again? And if I should get it on my back again rather than someplace more visible?

What do you think? Has anyone else had that reaction after getting a tattoo?

MarsBarsAreShrinking Sat 10-Feb-18 14:25:02

That is quite a drastic reaction. I did have thoughts of "shit, what the fuck have I done?" after my last one (which was my largest to date and very visible) but those thoughts soon went and on doing some research I discovered that it's quite common to have a wobble like that.

I honestly don't know what to advise. It doesn't sound like you rushed or acted on impulse so wonder why you reacted the way you did?

FindoGask Sat 10-Feb-18 20:15:01

I did freak out after my first very visible tattoo. It is big and colourful (like most of my tattoos) and I was delighted with it at first but then there was a long process of getting used to it being on my body. I do know what you mean about thoughts of death - I had those too, it felt very strange to me that I'd done something to myself that would outlive my own consciousness!

Now I merrily go around getting tattooed with not a care in the world but that piece definitely triggered some sort of traumatic shift in my self-perception.

I don't know whether you'd have that reaction again but I think it's maybe unlikely. As you say, it's a smaller tattoo, it has a meaning for you, and whilst it doesn't sound like you're someone who wants to get heavily tattooed, you've already done it once so it won't feel like such a big deal this time.

MissKrampus Sun 11-Feb-18 00:05:18

Yeah I imagine most folk have a moment of doubt. Not sure why mine was so extreme. I did have quite a "wrapped up in cotton wool" type of childhood, and didn't rebel as a teenager so maybe that was my first moment of rebellion and I had second thoughts after? My parents weren't that bothered about it though. I'd only had my ears pierced about 6 months beforehand and hadn't even had sex yet when I got it.

It's not huge but it was slightly bigger than I'd expected, because the tattooist wanted to get as much detail in as possible. I went with a friend to get her first tattoo a few months after getting mine done and she's got more than 10 now! And while I've sometimes thought "Oh such and such would be a cool tattoo" I've never felt like actually getting another until now. Also with placement, while my work is fine with people having tats on show I don't think I'd feel comfortable with them on arms or feet. So I'm thinking maybe hip or back again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: