Talk

Advanced search

First Tattoo, scared

(6 Posts)
Hammertime1986 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:59:38

So I'm 32 and off to meet a tattooist this week to discuss a tattoo. I'm really nervous and concerned I'll chicken out.
The only place I want one is on my side along my ribs near my boobs. I've heard that it's horrificly painful.
It's only going to be small (some wildflowers) but could do with some encouragement. I've never ever wanted one until recently and am excited about it, yet am rubbish with pain.
What can I do in advance to make it less awful.

TravellingFleet Thu 08-Feb-18 00:06:09

I had my first a few weeks ago. To be honest, yes it is very painful, much more than I expected. Take a paracetamol in advance, bring an energy drink, bring a book or something to distract you, and do your best to relax the muscles. Then you just have to grin and bear it. The pain stops very quickly once the tattoo is finished, though, and I don’t regret it - if anything, I’d have another, but I don’t know if I’d go for the ribcage because of the pain. Nice fleshy stomach did fine for me!

Strippervicar Thu 08-Feb-18 00:11:51

Go on ebay, buy something called EMLA cream. An hour before your tattoo put it all (pack of 5) on a piece of cling and spread it out. Apply cling, cream side down to the area where the tattoo is going.
You won't feel a thing.
There is also blue gel. That goes on when the skin is broken. Good for colour work.
Otherwise, paracetamol or stronger, big brekkie, carbs, sugar and a very very big pair of big girl pants.
I have been known to weep whilst being tattooed without some form of pain relief.

Strippervicar Thu 08-Feb-18 00:13:34

And I want pics after to admire the new work. I am work in progress, irises on my hip, thigh to cover stretchmarks.

MarsBarsAreShrinking Thu 08-Feb-18 08:40:26

Get a good night's sleep the night before. Avoid alcohol. Have a decent breakfast. Bring water with you to stay hydrated.

If it's only a small piece you're having then you'll most likely be absolutely fine. In my experience most people are fine (through gritted teeth) for the first 1.5 - 2 hours of tattooing and it's anything over that length of time that can become challenging.

UserSnoozer Sun 11-Feb-18 20:30:47

Part of the experience of getting a tattoo is the pain. You might enjoy it. Some find the constant drum of it relaxing like rainfall. If you can't face the pain you shouldn't get it tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now