Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there actual mercury in the swine flue jab

(12 Posts)
PeasPlease Wed 11-Nov-09 19:18:27

and if so how much?

Is it like eating a tin of tuna or eating 100 tins of tuna.

Asked pharmacist who said it is Ethyl mercury not actual mercury (???).

I have an appt on saturday to have the jab (I am pregnant) and can't seem to find an answer to the question of how much exactly I will be putting in my body if any at all.

BTW I am having the single jab.

Anyone know for sure? Is there an official number I can ring to get the answer?

piprabbit Wed 11-Nov-09 20:23:55

Radio 4 interviewed a doctor tonight and asked about mercury in the swine flu vaccine.

Apparently there is a very small amount, which acts as a preservative. The vaccine comes in a large vial, from which the nurse/doctor extracts one dose at a time. The mercury stops the vaccine going off during the time the vial is open (less than 24 hours).

I got the impression that mercury is also used to preserve other vaccines and the man said that there was no evidence of it causing any damage.

I know I've not answered your question - but hope this helps.

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:29:18

Mercury is in lots of vaccines but I believe the swine flu jab contains less than in one small tin of tuna.

PeasPlease Wed 11-Nov-09 20:29:54

Thanks, I looked up the reasons for the addition of mercury and understand it. I just want someone to tell me how much I will actually be getting put in me. Am I looking in the wrong places maybe? I would have thought it would be something pharmacists would be told so as to be able to answer questions but apparently not.

PeasPlease Wed 11-Nov-09 20:33:33

Thanks sasamaxx, sorry x-posted.

If that is true, then I will be more than happy to have it then. Can I ask where you found that info?

jkklpu Wed 11-Nov-09 20:34:44

An extra question is whether it's mercury itself, the poisonous metal, or a compound containing mercury. There's a massive difference: there's chlorine - a poisonous green element that's a gas at room temperature - in salt, but in the compound sodium chloride it's not toxic. Therefore, just because there's en element that, in its pure form is toxic, in something, that doesn't mean that the something is toxic.

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:40:24

Of course peas please - I asked a pharmacist lol

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:43:02

But here is stuff online:

"After getting a number of comments on this post, I wanted to clarify a point. Thimerosal itself is 49.6% mercury. However, there is only a very, very small amount of it in each vaccine. As one person comments: "So, if the Thimerosal level in each vial is under 0.1% (as it is by volume), then the mercury content in each vial is under 0.049%. There is more mercury in a tuna sandwich." I apologize for any confusion in the original post"

from http://infectiousdiseases.about.com/b/2009/09/16/thimerosal-and-the-h1n1-swine-flu-vaccine.htm

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:48:48

And if you really want to read up on it, here is the entire draft summary of Pandemrix (GSK)

and Celvapan (Baxter)here

sasamaxx Wed 11-Nov-09 20:53:01

sorry - links should be pandremix and baxter

PeasPlease Wed 11-Nov-09 20:55:01

Thanks you again sasamaxx, I think the pharmacists here are a bit pants/don't really care.

jkklpu, I realise it is not elemental mercury in the jab but if it is metabolised to mercury then I just want to know exactly how much will end up floating around my body.

LeonieBurningHeapy Wed 11-Nov-09 20:55:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now