Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think we all have swine flu... but how can you tell?? and need some help..

(8 Posts)
cyphercat Tue 10-Nov-09 14:07:01

DH had it since Friday night. Temperature, coughs, achy joints, diarrhoea, dizzy and my DD now has high temperature of 39. 7 with calpol since last night with horrible cough. They started taking tamiflu today after consultation with GP over the phone. I'm worried as I'm 6 months pregnant and asthematic. I'm supposed to be having the swine flu and normal flu vaccine this Saturday. I now have splitting headache, really sore chest with painful cough, bit blurry, very tired but without the temperature.

And I accidentally took DD's liquid neurofen (two teaspoonful) while trying to make her take it (she's not even 2.5 yet..). Would that do my baby in tummy any harm..?? as I know I'm only supposed to take paracetamol while pregnant.

And should I still take those vaccines on Saturday if this is swine flu?? It's really confusing as you just don't know if it's bad cold, a flu, or swine flu.

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Tue 10-Nov-09 14:10:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elibean Tue 10-Nov-09 14:31:37

I can't help with any of the vaccine questions (do ask your GP though), but re the nurofen, I honestly wouldn't worry. I had an inflammatory problem (back) whilst pg with dd2, and even the consultant OB said it was ok to take Nurofen under those cirumstances - its not recommended for pg women, but the odds of it causing any harm are tiny. And that was the full adult dose.

You poor love, I bet you feel awful - bad enough feeling rough yourself, but with a sick dh and dd, three times worse. Do call your GP asap for advice, especially if you start to feel worse or get breathless.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 10-Nov-09 14:32:21

You definitely should be talking to your doctor about how you are feeling. Korma is right - pregnant and asthmatic - you need advice from your gp asap. Hope you feel lots better soon.

cyphercat Tue 10-Nov-09 15:02:53

thank you. I will call my doctor if it gets any worse. I don't normally take my brown inhaler - beclometasone as I only asthma with seasonall allergy, cold and certain animals, but I will start now just in case my asthma gets worse. Thank you very much for your help.

kormaAAAARRRRGGHHchameleon Tue 10-Nov-09 15:18:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyphercat Tue 10-Nov-09 19:26:14

don't worry about it korma! I will ask my doctors for professional advice but as of yet, I haven't had any temperature...so I could have had swine flu already and this is just nasty cold?? who knows but GP doesn't seem to have clue and they don't do any swab or blood tests for it to find out. I just have no trust at all with NHS and GPs...

SecretSlattern Tue 10-Nov-09 19:31:57

I've been terrible for the past 3 days, have the temp, aches and pains and the chest thing all going on, just not the d/v thing. I too am asthmatic and pg (12 weeks) and my gp has said I can take pholcodine for the cough, paracetamol and my blue inhaler. It's horrible. Been told not to touch Tamiflu unless the aching kicks in. The response I had from the drs was pretty rubbish tbh.

Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now