Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ca,ling swine flu veterans please advise me

(5 Posts)
LadyGlencoraPalliser Sun 08-Nov-09 21:47:15

OK - so I am pretty sure DD2 has swine flu. She was fine when I picked her up from school on Thursday and an hour later had a high temp, headache and racking cough. Spoke to the GP and they advised to treat as normal virus - paracetamol, fluids and rest, which is what I have done.
She was in bed all day Friday and Saturday and felt dizzy if she even stood up. Today she has been mostly in bed, but cough is still there, though temp is now down. Obviously she won't be going to school tomorrow, but how long should I keep her off? When does she stop being infectious? And if your child has had swine flu, did anyone else in the family catch it? I will be sending my other children to school tomorrow, as the school has said siblings should come in.

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 05:50:41

We've all had it bar DH who seems immune to every sodding thing! hmm

You are contagious for a day before symptoms appear to a week after. The cough does go on a while - I had mine for four weeks and that's not unusual, but it doesn't mean you are still contagious.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Mon 09-Nov-09 10:14:25

Thanks, WMMC. So I shouldn't let her go back to school till Friday at the earliest? She is still in bed, but seems much better today, headache and temp are gone this morning, but she still has the racking cough.

whomovedmychocolatecookie Mon 09-Nov-09 22:01:23

No, sorry she's off for the rest of the week. Hope the rest of you manage to avoid it

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 10-Nov-09 17:14:05

Thanks WMMC. She won't be pleased - she wants to go back tomorrow, but I said no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now