Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This has probably been done to death but...

(6 Posts)
sheilatakeabow Sat 07-Nov-09 13:15:08

... I'm very confused. DS (2.5) been diagnosed over the phone with swine flu and prescribed Tamiflu, which I'm meant to collect once walk-in centre opens. But I'm unsure about it (which begs the question why I rang the swine flu line...). It seems that every sniffle is being diagnosed as SF, and children are being prescribed a medicine with quite bad side effects, when they may not have the virus - I'm not convinced DS has.
Anyone else been in same position? Or can soemone point me in the direction of a thread covering saem dilemma?
Thanks a lot

sarah293 Sat 07-Nov-09 13:19:46

Message withdrawn

Beachcomber Sat 07-Nov-09 13:21:51

I'm afraid that I don't have anything helpful to say. I am shock that you are being prescribed Tamiflu over the phone for a 2.5 yo though.

sheilatakeabow Sat 07-Nov-09 13:26:44

DH is very ant taking it - it's an pain in the bum that it's a Saturday and can't talk to a 'real' person. And so far. DS has nothing out of the ordinanry to normal flu, but I'm now worried that I've been prescribed it for a reason, and that if I don't give DS it, could make him worse. It's so bloody confusing, but I rememebr earlier this year, consternation in the media about children taking it. Arrgghh.

GreenFlowerTShirtAndLeggings Sat 07-Nov-09 15:51:54

Swine flu is just a normal flu, just a strain that's new to us, and also it might be better at getting deep into the lungs.

Link about lungs

mommymeggie Mon 09-Nov-09 16:31:22

I would get a second opinion, go and see your GP or have him/her call you.

As for my GP, we had a conversation about the swine flu and he said he personally thought there were a lot of misdiagnoses. He put it this way.....A woman came in with a cough and stuffy nose, the doc said it was swine flu...then next day 10 people happened to come down with the same symptoms. My GP says also said that he personally doesn't think swine flu is as bad as the seasonal flu.

Best to get a second opinion though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now