Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know which group comes after the vulnerable under 65s for vaccine?

(9 Posts)
inthesticks Fri 06-Nov-09 09:44:24

As I posted on another thread my DS had normal flu last year and was very ill. I want him to have swine flu jab and wondered when it's the turn of healthy children?

piprabbit Sat 07-Nov-09 00:01:31

Quote:
"The groups of people who are most vulnerable to serious illness from swine flu will be offered the vaccine first. In order of priority, these are:

•People aged between six months and 65 years in the seasonal flu vaccine at-risk groups (listed below).
•All pregnant women.
•People who live with someone whose immune system is compromised (for example, people with cancer or HIV/AIDS).
•People aged 65 and over in the seasonal flu vaccine at-risk groups.
Frontline health and social care workers will also be offered the vaccine at the same time as the first clinical at-risk groups.
The seasonal flu vaccine at-risk groups are people with:

•Chronic lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis and cystic fibrosis. Also included are people with severe asthma who need to continuously or repeatedly use their inhaler or take steroid medication, or who have been admitted to hospital because of their asthma.
•Chronic heart disease, including heart failure, congenital heart disease, and heart disease caused by high blood pressure.
•Chronic kidney disease, such as kidney failure and people who have had a kidney transplant.
•Chronic liver disease, such as cirrhosis and chronic hepatitis.
•Chronic neurological disease, such as stroke, Parkinson's disease, cerebral palsy, motor neurone disease or multiple sclerosis.
•Diabetes.
•Immunosuppression (a suppressed immune system), due to disease or treatment. This includes people who have a damaged or no spleen, people having chemotherapy or other immunosuppressant treatment, and those on high doses of steroid medication. "

I don't think healthy children will be getting vaccines any time soon.

bellissima Sat 07-Nov-09 12:11:44

We have been offered jabs for the whole household as my DD1 is asthmatic (but not otherwise immuno-compromised) - so it would appear that the 'people who live with' group has already been expanded.

inthesticks Sat 07-Nov-09 13:08:58

piprabbit - in no way was I suggesting that healthy children should come before sick and vulnerable groups. However the government said right at the beginning that there would be enough for the whole population.

In the paper yesterday it was clear no decision has yet been taken. There was a recommendation to start to vaccinate all 10 to 18 year olds by the end of the year.

sarah293 Sat 07-Nov-09 13:14:02

Message withdrawn

inthesticks Sat 07-Nov-09 14:24:14

Riven, I'm sure you have some reason for your decision, mine was based on my experience in 2008 . I had ordinary flu last year and I have never been so ill since I was 8 years old with measles. DS1 also had it and the severity of it was really scary. I have no hesitation in being vaccinated.
I have asthma and therefore got the seasonal and swine flu jab at GP last week. No ill effects other than a sore arm.
DS will have to wait.

mumtoem Sat 07-Nov-09 14:29:45

I received a letter from my GP today because I have asthma. It invites only me to have the flu shots.

I am going to ask about DD. She is 18 months and became very ill with a chest infection last Decemebr. She had to spend 2 days in hospital on oxygen and took several weeks to recover. So I am worried that any type of flu might cause an equally serious reaction in her.

sarah293 Sat 07-Nov-09 14:59:10

Message withdrawn

Elibean Sat 07-Nov-09 17:52:17

inthesticks, my dd2 has had the SF vaccine even though we're not certain whether she has asthma or not - on the basis that she has been seriously ill with upper respiratory tract infection in the past (HDU type ill). Our surgery know her history, and although she isn't on the official list, they had no problem including her.

So I would ask your GP, or the practice nurse, what their policy is on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now