Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to decide if it could be swine flu or not?

(3 Posts)
Grendle Thu 05-Nov-09 12:29:05

Ds had a cough and a temp last thurs-fri. It was a really nasty sounding dry cough, and he went hoarse and had a sore throat too. However, within 3 days seemed fine again. It never occurred to me at the time that it might be SF.

Then the night before last, dd gets a temp and cough. Obviously we give her ibuprofen to lower her temp, and do all the usual things you would with a sick 2 year old. She has slight snot, is definitely well below par and is complaining of sore mouth (which seems to mean throat when we checked) and can barely squeak. I took a look at the official website and her symptoms would be consistent with SF. But, because we're controlling her temp with paracetamol & ibuprofen although it's up, it's not over 38, so she wouldn't get diagnosed. It's too late now and I wouldn't want to give her tamiflu anyway. So I don't see any point in ringing or using the internet thingy.

However, I am 39 weeks pregnant and unvaccinated, so am a bit concerned that it could be SF, not that there's much different I can do anyway. Vaccines don't seem to have arrived in our area yet. Avoiding snot/dribble/breath while caring for a sick clingy toddler is tricky, so there's a fair chance I'll get it. The last thing I want is to get SF and go into labour during it because of the temp <anxious>, especially as planning a home waterbirth.

Does it sound like it could be SF? There's not really anything I can do is there...

MrsJamin Thu 05-Nov-09 12:40:20

I'm guessing you've checked the NHS website or given them a ring? DS has a similar thing at the moment, cough and temp of 39. doctor said it wasn't swine flu. Hope you steer clear of whatever they have had! Good luck for the imminent birth.

corblimeymadam Wed 11-Nov-09 18:24:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now