Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swine flu jab offered privately for children

(11 Posts)
lumpasmelly Wed 04-Nov-09 11:52:11

Some of my friends have been offered the jab privately for their children.....I didn't think that this was supposed to happen, and that it wasn't available in the UK privately? Has anyone else encountered this, and if they were offered it, would they let their children take it?....I suppose I am only considering it because I am pregnant and it would be a great weight off my mind to know that my children won't be bringing it home.....but then I am not sure if it is safe for kids as I don't know enough about the research on this. What do people think?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 04-Nov-09 12:36:59

how on earth has that happened? - it hasn't even reached all the most vulnerable people yet. Sounds like a black market is in operation!
I know that seasonal jabs are available privately.

impfty Wed 04-Nov-09 13:46:23

Could private clinics just have bought it in from abroad?

lumpasmelly Wed 04-Nov-09 18:15:47

No idea - but it seems well dodgy to me seeing as the NHS are talking about having shortages for the "high risk" groups....i intend to look into it! Also heard of some corporations paying to have top execs given the jab so that they are not all off at the same time!!!...although this does sound a bit like daily mail story!!!

bellissima Wed 04-Nov-09 18:29:31

As someone who is patiently (well okay probably impatiently) waiting for her at-risk group child to be offered the jab by the GP's surgery, I would be absolutely FURIOUS (sorry to shout - no not sorry) if that was happening and they were in any way preventing supplies getting to GPs. Can't even understand it as there's a shortage in the US as well.

abdnhiker Fri 06-Nov-09 12:26:12

I wouldn't get it for my kids - we'll wait our turn. After all, I'm lucky enough my kids aren't high risk. My DF was offered the swine flu vaccine by his GP in Canada out of turn and he is upset that this is happening (he didn't take it), especially as my brother's wife is pregnant and hasn't gotten hers yet. I was really proud that the UK was doing a better job of administering it according to need.

wicked Fri 06-Nov-09 12:34:22

My DD (7) received a letter from the GP inviting her for a flu jab next weekend. She had the seasonal flu jab a few years ago, so I suppose she is on a list somewhere.

There has always been a private source of flu jabs.

DH's company buys up loads of them for employees, and I remember a few years ago when there was an overall shortage, DH's company had plenty.

Drug companies are commercial organisations and operate in the free market. They can sell to whoever they like, within the scope of the law. You don't see the government subsidising them when times are hard.

mommymeggie Mon 09-Nov-09 15:59:36

In the US, they are giving the jab to ALL children. They have set up days at their schools for all children to receive one. I personally think the young children should be able to receive it. So good on them that they are selling it private. I will look into that as I have a 18 month old.

Musukebba Mon 09-Nov-09 17:26:47

Well then please be careful exactly what vaccines are being offered, their licencing status, and how you can guarantee their provenance.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 09-Nov-09 21:35:42

I have friends and family in the States - they cannot get the jab for love nor money despite one being in a risk group with immune problems.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 09-Nov-09 22:37:23

i had heard that Tesco were offering it for about £8.

there is a criteria for the SF vaccine, and its different to the seasonal flu criteria.

ive had both as work in NHS, DS who i chronic asthmatic got his on saturday, he is 17. i think DD has had swine flu already.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now